Catalog (click here)
Set contains the two forward torpedo tubes, turntables and forward slides. A set of two aft torpedo tubes is available separately.
Notice: the Lindberg kit's torpedo tubes are 12% over-scale. These models are accurately 1/32 scale. When compared to the Lindberg kit's parts, these 3D-printed models will be noticeably smaller, yet accurate.
This set of two torpedo tubes represents the forward pair of torpedo tubes mounted to many World War Two US Navy PT Boats such as the famous PT-109 commanded by then-Lieutenant John F. Kennedy. The aft tubes have differently shaped forward carriage slides and are available separately. The Mk.18 Torpedo Tube was used early in the war until replaced by roll-off racks for aircraft-type Mk.13 torpedoes. A good reference for PT boats can be found on NavSource: http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/05idx.htm
This model kit is not a 3D-printed copy of any plastic model kit's parts. It is designed from actual builder's blueprints. Therefore, it may not be the same size or shape of your plastic kit's parts. Some adjustment of the plastic kit's parts may be needed for best fit.
- accurately scaled from scans of original Electric Boat Company manufacturer's blueprints dated 3 December 1942.
- details confirmed from careful study of period photographs
- accurately depicts the different features of the port tube and the starboard tube
- separate aft turntable and forward carriage slide permitting the modeler to display the tubes in their stowed position or rotated outward 8.5 degrees for firing. Tubes may also be displayed dismounted
- detailed concave breech door with stiffener details
- accurate, detailed, tube-top firing combustion chamber
- accurate breech door hinge
- exterior stiffener rings properly sized and located
- accurately shaped and located training gear
- bolt heads accurately scaled in their proper position, randomly turned for realism
- rivet detail
- subtle weld line detail
- tube hollow through to the breech door
- training gear handle, combustion chamber handles, clasps and exterior tubular brace omitted (too thin to print)
Click here for cleaning and painting advice.
© Model Monkey Book and Hobby. This 3D-printed item may not be copied or recast.
- separate the turntables from each other by removing their attachment sprue
- position the flat side of the turntable bases outboard at the edge of the deck (the rounded side goes inboard).
- separate the forward slides from each other by removing their attachment sprue
- the forward slides have a small training gear (a rounded boxy structure) located on one corner. Position the slides so that the training gear is on the inboard, forward corner of the slide.
- position the outboard edge of the slides against the deck edge.
- the tubes are different. Position the tubes so that the breech door hinges are inboard.