This Universal Equinoctial Ring Dial 2
is a portable and self-orientating sundial. You can see how a similar dial works: https://www.pocket-sundial.com/pages/how-it-works-sundial
This is an improved version of a previous model:
You'll receive five parts unconnected and undyed. Discontinued opaque material after tea dying is shown in the photos. Available material is translucid, so it needs painting or some solvent to whiten the surface (maybe alcohol). With the old material, the marks could be painted with black ink and then it was removed with a wet sheet, so ink only remained in the marks.
Tp connect the parts:
1. Enter the slider with a little pressure through the slit of the central (month) bar. It's only possible over June and July marks. Then move the slider to the desired month and day mark. Each mark represents two days.
2. Deform lightly the meridian ring (the bigger one) in order to insert the hour ring. Be sure that both rings have their dyed faces on the same side when in folded position.
3. Deform again the latitude ring to put the central bar in position. Check the photo for the right orientation.
4. Finally, insert the eyelet through the "jasolo fecit" part of the meridian ring and displace it to the latitude value of your location. To improve the sliding of the eyelet, you can clean the path with a stick before the insertion (again the support material).
You can purchase the individual parts
in case you need any replacement:
- Meridian ring: https://www.shapeways.com/model/185486/universal_ring_dial_2__meridian_ring_part_.html
- Hour ring: https://www.shapeways.com/model/185480/universal_ring_dial_2__hour_ring_part_.html
- Central Bar: https://www.shapeways.com/model/185737/universal_ring_dial_2__central_bar_part_.html
- Slider: https://www.shapeways.com/model/165846/universal_ring_dial_2__slider_part_.html
- Eyelet: https://www.shapeways.com/model/185479/universal_ring_dial_2__eyelet_part_.html