Why The Insecurity, Shapeways?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by tarphon, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tarphon
    tarphon Member
    I noticed recently that Shapeways runs background scans on private conversation threads and replaces references to other 3D printing services with the phrase "competitor service". It doesn't actually get in the way of my helping my customers, as it's not exactly the sharpest censorship algorithm in the shed, but it's creepy as hell.

More importantly, it's pathetic. Imagine if gmail replaced every reference to Facebook or Apple with "competitor company". Shapeways, how little do you stand by your own services that you can't countenance someone who even mentions a competitor?

Rather than run nanny algorithms to censor your users' conversations, perhaps a better use of your resources would be to actually develop a better user experience. Just a thought. For example, if you provided the material options that some of your competitors do, I'd be far less interested in suggesting those services to my customers.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That is a function of how the forum (3rd party software) operates, and the fact that both public messages and private messages are two parts of a single integrated system.
    The filter you are talking about was put into place to limit discussion of competitors on the public side, but if it also catches the private messages.... that's a "feature" of the 3rd party software.

Shapeways pays to operate this forum.. they get to use their rules. The whole purpose here is to discuss the SHAPEWAYS 3d printing service.. It's not intended to be used as an open-ended communications medium (aka gmail). There are plenty of other boards where you could discuss any or every 3d printing service and Shapeways wouldn't care at all.
    Example: we moderators actively remove all the stuff that comes in for <PickYourFavoriteSpam> Shapeways simply doesn't want the forum they are funding to be used as a way to drive customers to other vendors - it seems reasonable to me.

Model_Monkey and MitchellJetten like this.
  3. ldemrys
    ldemrys Well-Known Member
    I too "found" this filter. And while at first I was slightly miffed, I gave it some thought and decided that it was Shapeways right, And I'm really just a guest here. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like it, you're free to do business elsewhere. I've been doing business here for several years now and have yet to be disappointed in any major way.

Model_Monkey likes this.