The Variant Feature Is A Joke

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by ZapWizard, May 15, 2018 at 5:02 PM.

Do you want more selection options?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. Yes

33.3%
  1. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Member
    How come the Shapeways store variants are only geared towards the most popular products?

My product comes in twelve variants. Am I expected to force my customers to select from dice, ring or 5 arbitrarily picked sizes.
    So if I want more that 5 sizes (and my variants are NOT different sizes) I have to make a bunch of different shop pages.
    This becomes a nightmare for customers who have asked me multiple times if I can make "x" variant, even though it is already available.

The whole advantage of on-demand manufacturing is customization, and fast changes. If I have to shove my customers down a rabbit hole of options to find the one that matches their need, then they just get frustrated. They aren't sure of what the are actually ordering in the end.

2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Active Member
    totally agree. Even for dice there isn't options for abnormal number of sides and if memory serves can't set full sets either.

3. bud_hammerton
    bud_hammerton Well-Known Member
    This has been discussed many times on the forums here. The variants suck, plain and simple. The easiest fix would be to add a generic variant that can just be replaced in the web page code to whatever label we as designers need it to be. Internally it could be variant_1, 2, 3 for all we care, as long as we can name it ourselves.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM
  4. Gragagrogog
    Gragagrogog Member
    Yep... your options are either having to explain what a dropdown menu does in description/put extra links to the description or flood the marketplace with bullshit almost copies of the same.