Sw Attitude During Covid-19?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CapHerlock, Mar 20, 2020.

1. CapHerlock
    CapHerlock Well-Known Member
    Hello people,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I had to ask this question to any Shapeways folks out there. The question is plain and simple: will orders submitted during this period in which Covid-19 seems to run rampant across the globe this get through to the customer? I currently live in Italy and I was thinking of submitting an order during this admittedly very boring period. At least I can keep myself busy with something, but I wanted to know if this order will actually arrive in a timely manner.
    Also, on a different note but another related question: will Shapeways production keep going during this period? I mean, shop owners and customers can still do whatever they were doing before, but if there's actually nobody to print and ship the items, then it's gonna be some time before someone will get the stuff they ordered.

I just felt I had to ask these questions, to which there will (hopefully) be clear answers so that both shop owners and customers can continue benefitting from SW's services.

Thanks and cheers,
    CH

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Their message from Facebook is below. I would take this to mean that for as much as they can, they're keeping production open. BUT... New York City Is implementing 100% work from home starting 8 p.m. Sunday.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  4. CapHerlock
    Yeah I've heard about that. But that sounds to me like there *maybe*, *possibly* be some changes after Sunday.
    I guess we'll wait and see. Thank you.

5. Greaseball
    Greaseball Well-Known Member
    If they can find some reason to print medical or other supplies they can get a critical product classification to get workers into the plant and avoid a complete shutdown.

6. CapHerlock
    That's what they already doing. What I'd like to know is whether or not they will still produce other kinds of items and if orders will still be shipped in this period. Just so that I can inform my customers about the current situation.

7. Greaseball
    I don’t think they have an exemption yet to keep the factory open They would need to apply first and then wait for the bureaucracy to clear them.
    https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026

It’s not a simple matter to move from “our products are exclusively meant for use as decorative items” to “our products are approved for and may be used in clinical medical applications.” They might be able to produce things like disposable packaging, clips and cable ties, or maybe cases/structures for some equipment. But there are going to be some big hurdles they first need to jump. I suppose they will tell us when they know themselves. I doubt there’s much activity in their New York factory but any production farmed out to production partners in other states or countries would likely still be active.

CapHerlock likes this.
  8. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    I heard the team was looking to apply to make medical devices, which is an awesome and worthy cause! Hopefully Shapeways is approved to help in that way and can really have a positive impact during such a crazy time.

I also hope the factory floor workers will be receiving hazard pay during this time. We just started testing in NYC last week, so cases are climbing rapidly (as expected). With the whole state on "PAUSE" (aka. shelter in place under a different name) it would only seem fair to compensate anyone who has to risk their health.

Rob_T_Firefly likes this.
  9. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    every effort helps, but we really need the feds to boost real production which is so much faster cheaper than 3d printing every mask. These are disposable items we are talking about not reusable ones and we need a mass production solution.

lawrencekramer2014 likes this.
  10. CapHerlock
    These are not necessarily such. Here in a small town in northern Italy a factory has set up its own production of masks, made of cloth, which can be disinfected and reused. The solution is not always mass-production. What are we going to do with all of these masks once the emergency is over? We'd be submerged by them, just like we are with trash right now. We need to start to think differently.

Giorgio_Montagner likes this.
  11. gordonlardi
    That’s an encouraging story, we should do that too. But we could use a tsunami of solutions right now and 3-D printing cannot do that scale on its own

CapHerlock likes this.
  12. Greaseball
    Shapeways needs to have basic protection fabric masks made somewhere with their logo on it and saturate the free mask distribution channels with them.

13. gordonlardi
    Actually with the laser sintering process they probably do sit on a good supply of high rated masks for cleaning powder beds

14. gordonlardi
    we all love 3d printing but it is not going to solve this problem, shapeways could do more good for sick people by donating their supply of masks to the nurses in the front lines right there in NYC. Probably wouldnt be bad press either.

EvieL and CapHerlock like this.
  15. Ngineer
    Ngineer Well-Known Member
    We're all going to get this virus at some point, so we should all get compensated then? Remember Mexican Flu? IT's now just called "the flu" with 60% of all flu cases being what we once called Mexican flu. The only worry is that we should not all get Covid at the same time, because the health care system can not cope and everything will shut down because alle employees are sick.

16. CapHerlock
    That's the problem though. How many months is gonna take for that to happen? It's been 4 weeks since I've been locked up at home, how long is this gonna last? No one ever bothers about the psychological effects of the thing.

17. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    Most working class Americans are about to get a check from the government, basically everyone who might need assistance is going to be compensated.

and yeah, companies that are asking their employees to continue to risk their health by requiring them to get on public transit to do manual labor in a hot spot like nyc where confirmes cases are rising by the thousands every day should be compensating those employees differently. Especially when the whole rest of the company can work from the safety of their homes. We’re under a shelter in place order here for a reason. It’s awesome that Shapeways is doing what it can to help medical centers who desperately need it, but let’s not pretend like the folks on the factory floor aren’t putting themselves and their families at risk by getting on the subway everyday. Pretty much everything else is already shut down here, there are tens of thousands of people suddenly out of work in nyc. Low wage workers who are willing to risk their health to keep the rest of the essential businesses in the city open deserve hazard pay.

Rob_T_Firefly, jimmyadvice and EvieL like this.
  18. Ngineer
    Ngineer Well-Known Member
    I'm sorry but running the risk of getting this disease because you ride the subway is really not worthy of hazard pay. I believe they should get paid well, and the company should be very grateful they come in to work, but the word hazard pay implies bullets and a serious chance of getting killed.
    If all the nurses get hazard pay, and sanitation workers etc etc only then normal workers could ask to get it too.

P.s. I'm a firefighter, I have to touch people that are not healthy or already dead and try to make/keep them not-dead. I don't ask for hazard pay. The whole economy is getting ruined, everybody has to pitch in, there's no room for whiners right now.

19. Greaseball
    Hazard pay or not I don’t see an economic meltdown doing anything positive for any 3D printing service right now. There is the advantage of being able to order online but that only works as long as people and companies have enough spare cash to spend on the stuff unless it’s a fundamental need.