Shapeways For Teaching Symmetry! New 'point Group Symmetry' Shop!

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by Ngage, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Ngage
    Ngage Member
    I am a PhD in chemistry and this is my educational project. If you teach or study point group symmetry it is very handy to have solid objects representing different symmetry. Scientists used to construct 3D models of different kinds, like the examples on the famous photo of a 2-times Nobel laureate Linus Pauling:

[​IMG]

There are 32 crystallographic point groups of symmetry and I have never seen physical solid examples of all the groups. Using 3D printing and Shapeways I was able to make the set of molecules representing all the 32 crystallographic point groups and even 10 more noncrystallographic!

You can use these models for studying/teaching symmetry, for lectures and practice, for taking exams, for communicating science, for decoration, etc. For the creation of the set I used different scientific papers and online databases, however, all of them included only the most widespread point groups and a few less common. I believe that the new set of examples on Shapeways is one of the most complete. So, if you do not wish to purchase the physical models, you can use the site as one of the largest database of example molecules of different types of symmetry (you can rotate all models in 3D on the Shapeways website). This makes Shapeways more than just a shop and a website - it has educational use!

If you are interested - here is the link to the shop (you can find more info in the 'About' section on the bottom of the page):
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/point-group-symmetry

If you have anybody in mind who may be interested - please, share the link with them. I would be very pleased if lots of people all over the world will use my models - then I will be sure that I have not wasted a month of my life for creating them ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Ontogenie, shawn_halayka and mkroeker like this.
  2. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    Your store is very impressive!

Have you ever tried your hand at generating the potential isosurface of a molecule? Like, using Marching Cubes to visualize molecules.

PS. I'm not a chemist. :(

3. Ngage
    Ngage Member
    Thank you very much!
    Lots of chemical software allows generation of different isosurfaces. Find a few examples in the attached files - is that what you mean? I even 3D printed the polyhedral one - it is in the bottom of the 'Xmas tree' in the attached image :)

Attached Files:

shawn_halayka likes this.