Need help deleting parts along a curve

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 423907_deleted, Jun 24, 2014.

1. I need some help deleting the tube that is inside this tank, but leaving the part that is on top of the tank in place. I have it where I want it, but the inner portion needs to go. I can't seem to get it out of there without deleting the entire thing or causing a lot of funky faces inside.

I'd also like a series of extra drain holes along the bottom curve of the tank to aid in clean out but I can't get a good clean hole.

I'm using Sketchup 14 and would like to be able to get a fixed file in the same format so I can continue with this project, as it is not yet finished.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide.

TLH

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. If you're using SketchUp Pro, you can use the Solid Tools to easily do this.

If you're using SketchUp Make (like most folks), you can still do it, but it takes a few more steps.
    - Select the tube and tank geometry
    - Right click > Intersect Faces > With Model
    - This creates edges at the intersections of the pipe and tank, so the unwanted geometry can be deleted. Since your model dimensions are small, the operation will fail, introducing lots of small holes in the model. Undo this step...I just wanted you to see what happens.
    - Scale the model up 100x
    - Now perform the intersection operation and proceed to delete the extra geometry
    - To access interior faces that need to be deleted, you can select a face, then use Edit > Cut to remove a top face, then Edit > Paste in Place to put it back when you're done
    - Scale the model back down when you're complete.

Extra drain holes along the bottom can be made in the same manner.

Does that help?

3. That helped immensely! Thank you so very much.

TLH

4. Excellent. :)