Extra Cleaning Step?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by davec426913, May 21, 2019.

1. davec426913
    davec426913 Member
    Is it possible to request an extra super-duper cleaning step when finishing my order?

I've got my model perfect, after many iterations, (My Shapeways Forum designer has gone AWOL, so I don't know if I can easily make further modifications anyway, and frankly, I lost the 3D meshes in a HD crash, leaving me only with the uploaded file - which I don't think can be edited in a 3D editing tool).

My design is printed in Extreme/Ultra detail plastic (at least, that's what it used to be called), and it has very tight tolerances, but has to be built as a single unit, with internal moving parts. When it arrives, I give it a good soak to loosen up any filler material. (I've tried water, rubbing alcohol and peroxide. They are all about the same.) I cannot get my moving parts to move without so much force that I crush about 50% of my test prototypes.

I figure in the few days it takes to arrive, the filler material may be hardening just that much more.

If it's possible, I'd like to see if you can try an extra cleaning step before shipping. Or some other solution (I dunno, like keeping the parts wet until they arrive and I can dry them out myself).

This is the model:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/7294976

The show-stopper is that each nested telescoping piston has a .02 tolerance, but the internal pistons also have ribs (to provide friction when telescoping). This brings the tolerance down to .01. The escape holes are as large as they can possibly be. The pistons are already so thin and fragile that they can easily be crushed, so I can't make the escape holes any larger - but as long as I'm careful they'll be fine.

It's only the initial step I'm having problems with, where I need to break the seal of the filler so that the pistons can slide easily.

Help?

2. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi @davec426913

Thank you for reaching out! We have a normal cleaning process for this material for all models that come out of production. I can ask our team to look at this one closely when it comes through but we can't promise any specific cleaning process for a single model given the volume of models we process daily.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

3. davec426913
    davec426913 Member
    Thanks anyway.

jimmyadvice likes this.
  4. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team