Design Was Automatically Resized With Out Notifying Before It Was Printed

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by wile2u, Apr 13, 2018.

1. wile2u
    wile2u Member
    I had a print that I just received today, upon inspecting it it was quite a bit smaller than the design, I checked the order status, and it said automatically resized, it was only 8.9 in x 1.5in x 1in. If I would have known that it couldn't have been printed at the specified size I wouldn't have wasted my money and time.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    How much smaller? The only resizing that I'm aware of is if the units of the file don't make sense for the machine.
    Example: if the file purports to be meters and is significantly bigger than the machine, it will get resized to inches, or if the bounding box is under a millimeter total, it might also get resized up to inches. But, you'd see that change in sizes before you order. The difference would have to be 39.37 (meters to inches) or .03937 (1/25.4) (mm to inches)
    It would never be adjusted "only sightly - to fit".

3. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    Was this before or after you made the order?

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You normally get this message on the product page that is shown directly after the upload, and the model size in both centimeters and inches is also displayed on the model page. Still I expect shapeways' "money back guarantee" covers your case, please email service@shapeways.com with your order number to get this sorted.

5. mkroeker
    Btw that weird rounding factor is probably meant to be 1:1000, so chances are this was a confusion between meters and millimeters. STL format as such is dimensionless, and some design programs have completely separate settings for design and export scale. What was the intended size ?

6. wile2u
    wile2u Member
    I noticed this after the order, and after it was printed. I had logged in to see the status. original size was 88.9mm x 31.75mm x 12.7 mm

7. mkroeker
    Say again ? That is (within rounding error) the same as the cm figures you quoted above as the "wrong" values after the unwanted resize ?

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    It's always a good idea to check sizes and units on the model or product pages before ordering. Any automatic size adjustments (auto-scaling resulting from seemingly ridiculous file dimensions) happen before the model shows up on the model page and automated design rule check results are revealed. Both model and product pages show dimensions in centimeters, while the product page also gives you the option of toggling to inches.

When you upload you can choose units of millimeters, inches, or meters only. If the model was created using centimeters, mils, feet, miles, or cubits the system might try to utilize a scaling size to try to make sense of it. Another point of confusion can be in knowing what's x,y, and z in the design software as opposed to the Shapeways system. Sometimes programs can export a model file with some axes swapped, or there might be a setting in the software to change axes when exporting a file. (Different model file formats may also assign axes differently.)

So in summary is the following correct?

1. Original desired size = 8.9 in x 1.5in x 1in ??
    2. You received a print = 3.5 x 1.25 x 0.5 inches, or 8.89 x 3.176 x 1.27 cm ??

That would be really strange since it implies the same scaling factor was not applied to x, y, and z dimensions.

From what I can tell this is a transceiver having a size (width, vertical, depth) of about 5.8 x 1.9 x 7 inches if I found the correct model.

If you set the item as being public and give us a link perhaps we could better figure out what's going wrong here.

9. Moms_Sphagetti
    Moms_Sphagetti Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi wile2u,

I'm sorry to hear your model arrived not as originally designed in measurement! Would you be able to write into service@shapeways.com? We may need to delve deeper into this matter which we will be able to do over email.Thank you!

All the best,