3d Printing A White Metal Mold

Discussion in 'Miniatures and Scale Models' started by kaiserjohnny, Jan 6, 2018.

1. kaiserjohnny
    kaiserjohnny Member
    I wish to 3d print a 2-piece mold suitable for casting white metal figures. Is this possible? If so, what materials will be suitable for the mold? What would be the minimum practical scale? (I have 6mm, 15mm, and 28mm scale figures to produce)

2. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    i would suggest brass, since it good with details and smooth finish

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    At first, I'd like to say no. That is not possible in a high fidelity material because Shapeways high fidelity materials cannot stand up to the heat. However, what if one took advantage of the marvels of 3D printing and designed in water cooling channels throughout the mold halves?

Another thing one could do is use a fusible alloy in conjunction with water cooling. Frosted Detail Plastic starts deforming at 56 °C but there are numerous fusible alloys that are liquidus at around that temperature.

Yeah, bronze, brass, and silver would work if one can keep the white metal from sticking.

4. hanelyp
    hanelyp Well-Known Member
    Depending on the metal to be cast, using a 3D printed master to create a silicone mold might be a good option.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    You should ask miniature casters, they probably will point you to their prefered material and even print shop, compatible with what they use. But the norm is SLA machines wtih vulcanization ready resin, at highest resolution (for minimal touch ups). Some of the latest white metal models in the market are done that way, from 3 mm to 35 mm and beyond, without issues.