3D Printing Material Non-reactive with Acetone

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 1116006_deleted, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hey, so I'm designing a part for my senior project. It's similar to a syringe, but it dispenses nail polish. The problem is, nail polish contains ethyl and butyl acetate, which reacts with the ABS we've been printing with. It deforms and becomes soft when in contact with the nail polish for too long, which is a huge problem. So, I'm seeking a material that will not react with nail polish in this way, while being quality enough to have a smooth inner surface that you can make a seal against.

Does anything like this exist? I've also looked into acetone-neutral resins or epoxies that could be used to coat the inside of the syringe. However, this would likely be tedious and difficult to apply accurately, so I would prefer the material to be nonreactive from the get go.

Thanks!

2. You may want to order a test print using ShapeWays White Strong & Flexible (nylon, not dyed): it seems inert to acetone as well as methanol in basic tests I've run with some of my printed models. Extended exposure to these solvents might still be a problem, not because of the nylon, but due to the porosity resulting from the print process.

3. ArjayR
    ArjayR Member
    Similar question but slightly different. I have a piece printed in Nylon 12. Is it okay to coat that material with a clear coat nail polish to provide a smoother/glossier finish and to improve water/liquid resistance?