Selling To Potential Scammer

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by cadycarlsondesigns, Dec 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cadycarlsondesigns
    cadycarlsondesigns Well-Known Member
    I'm trying to not be upset as this is just a general risk in the 3d printing world but I'm hoping you all may have a solution that I'm not thinking of.

I was contacted by a person supposedly from UAE wanting to purchase a large amount of one of my products at a discount because supposedly he has a company that would sell a lot of them retail. I asked for more information and I am certain he's a scammer. After I politley told him I wasn't interested he started badgering me and then I got a notification this morning that he purchased the product we were talking about.

Is there anyway to refuse his sale through Shapeways? And if so, what would stop him from creating a new account and just trying again? I suspect nothing can be done but I wanted to see if I'm not thinking of something.

2. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    If he bought through SW then he must have paid the full asking price including your mark-up, so there's no injury to redress. And if you put it up for sale you can't decide who can and can't buy it, ass long as they follow the rules and pay the price. Of course he may have been a scammer trying to get a discount, or even hoping you'd buy and ship the parts before he paid (so he could default later), but you weren't caught out. Unless he used a fake payment method (that's SW's problem, not yours!) I doubt SW would take any action, but you can always raise the issue with customer service just in case.

3. Moms_Sphagetti
    Moms_Sphagetti Well-Known Member
    Hi cadycarlsondesigns,

Thanks for reaching out to us. barkingdigger is correct in that the customer who bought the models from you will have to pay full price for the models. The only way to get a discount on any order is if we approve it and only during any sales we may be offering, which was back during black friday/cyber monday.

At this point, we have an internal team that can look for fraud on our end so you won't need to worry about that on your end. If we determine anything is fraud, we will look into it further but it won't affect the shopowner.

I hope this helps!

All the best,