Introducing The Hp Printer! Sign Up For Early Access

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Apr 26, 2017.

1. The HP documentation explains that this new machine prints using voxels, like a 2D printer. This would be useful to print models based on medical images.

Is there a way to provide a 3D model to this printer directly in a voxelized format (or as a stack of 2D images)?

Thanks!

2. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    When, Shapeways, when?
    I have trial parts ready to go... just not the sexy-looking jewelry things that you like for photo-ops...

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    There is work ongoing in this area. We can't offer it to users yet but we are working on it.

4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    To those who have signed up, we're letting small groups of people in first just to make sure everything is going smoothly and get very detailed feedback. Once thats good the groups will get larger and we'll be good. You should receive a notification once you're in and thanks for being patient. Glad to hear you've got designs ready to go.

5. 50326_deleted
    50326_deleted Member
    I have a design ready for the HP machine. I am excited about the new technology.
    It is in my workshop

6. knoted
    knoted Active Member
    Ok, I just signed up.

This new stuff might be great for my Transformers toy add-on's, because those usually require a smooth finish for the eyes of collectors and tiny margins for the points of articulation. My only concern so far would be color. As long as the gray can be dyed into a decent range of colors, this might have potential. If not, then I am not so sure.

7. UtorCase
    UtorCase Well-Known Member
    Wow, I am yet to be allowed in to test, but if the prices are the same as strong and flexible that is a bummer.

Unless you design sg "artistic" that might get lucky with a higher price via 3d printing, alternatives for "functional" ABS models can be found for pennies on aliexpress where no one gives a rats a#$^ if the stuff is 3d printed or not...I still wonder how they can produce stuff so cheap in China...

8. Efe3d
    Efe3d Member
    It's great to be witness to this in first place. As Mr. Kincaid's mentioned above, it looks like that prices gonna fall down very quickly after this even point. Countdown has started. Bells are ringing for mass production plastic companies.

I hope there will be other components such as full colour, translucent etc. as soon as possible, as they told.

9. wuerfel
    wuerfel Member
    I got access and want to order. But I've ssen some of my parts are to small. The minimum bounding box for each part inside the model is written as x+y+z > 7.5mm, I got models 16mm by 16mm by 16mm which are indicated as to small. May there be a mistake in the units or something like that. Or is it just for the first tests to have a bigger minimum box?

10. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    There is a bug in our database for the minimum size, it has been reported and will be fixed soon.

11. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  12. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Is this stuff at all porous? From my experience metallic plastic is very porous and can wick some fluids rapidly through its volume, while SF plastics are more porous at the surface and don't readily wick fluids as well. Is this new stuff somewhere between SF and metallic plastic or is it more like a solid ABS plastic?

13. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
  14. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Yep, but injection molded nylon is not porous. Think of a different liquid than water, or even tiny solid particles. So rephrasing, does it become near solid? Fully? Same than SLS method?

15. MrNibbles
    I was kind of thinking moisture is not the same thing as liquid. For example I have used carpenter's thin cyanoacrylate glue to fully seal metallic plastic inside and out. It has always wicked into the material as if it were a paper towel. But SF plastics generally don't wick this stuff at all unless it's one of those goofed up mid winter low-humidity SF prints that has super porosity. In fact humidity trapped in the prints can be bad for the cyanoacrylate glue since it makes it set faster, but a bake out of the part in a low temperature bake cycle overnight can mostly purge the print of moisture. Basically when I'm wondering about porosity here I'm thinking more along the lines of a jar of marbles than laminated sheets of solid material.

16. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Low viscosity CA didn't flow thru WSF? Weird, with thin paints you can see how they go to other side of thin walls.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  17. MrNibbles
    If it's penetrating it's nothing as much or as fast as metallic plastic, at least in my experience. Certainly with the dyed SF options. Maybe there's enough moisture in the SF to harden the glue before it penetrates too far? I do have some cup shaped test structures that I can drip glue into and then check if the bottoms end up being glued to a surface. Might be a good idea to get those in various materials including the new HP material. Speaking of which I should probably sign up for early access!

On an aside it's very obvious how the glue penetrates metallic plastic because it instantly darkens and you can see how the stuff spreads in the material. It's a bit more difficult to see in SF materials.

18. AotrsCommander
    AotrsCommander Well-Known Member
    I just got my notification for the program. There isn't much point me doing anything immediately (since the likely delivery date would come the week I'm on holiday), but I will be interested to see how it handles the Shipyard's models.

So, I will wait until I'm back (mid-June); I could put it in just before I go away, but then I'd not be on hand if the model bounces. Plus, that gives me another couple of weeks to get some more stuff done; my June release is intended to be the T-80BV, which has reactive armour blocks and they come out better at Shapeways than on my home Replicator, I could try one in WSF and HP grey to compare.

19. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    yay i got invited into the testing program, got 3 june some designs coming up for printing

20. sedstiskyfaller
    sedstiskyfaller Well-Known Member
    Just placed my first order in the new material! Excited to see what comes of it as it is a new model as well. From what I've seen, the material is much smoother in texture to the bare SF plastics, which is a definite plus.

I understand others' concerns about pricing, but this is a trial material that will certainly be able to decrease in cost over time and optimization. It seems reasonable at this point to offer it at the same cost of SF prints.

I am curious to know if the lead time is just for the pilot program and if it is expected to decrease once available to the public. Could anyone comment on the printing time versus SLS?