Help Uploading A Textured 3d Model From A .blender File

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spaghettiblacc, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone,

My apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, or if this question is a really simple issue to resolve, but essentially I am just trying to upload a textured model from a .blend file. for some reason, my exported .obj does not upload with the texture. I had some help from customer's service, but neither of us were able to resolve the issue. I have included a .zip file of the .blend file plus the textures if anyone were interested in taking a look. I would appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Shapeways does not read texture information from .obj files - you need to export as .dae, .wrl or .x3d.

3. I recall having issues uploading the .x3d file but I'll try it again. Thanks!

4. Right. So, I received an error message about a missing texture .tga file. I tried to compress the .x3d and the texture file (both as a .tga and as a .jpg) only to get a generic error response. I've attached an image of both error messages Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 12.31.24 PM.png

Edit: I made sure to pack all files and save before exporting too...

5. mkroeker
    Texture should be gif, jpg or png if I remember correctly (if you use the "UPLOAD" button in the menu on the left you will see a window with the supported formats, when you use the drop area in the Models table you wont). Also make sure that there are no unrelated files in the zip, just the x3d and its texture, and check that the imageTexture entry in the x3d has just the filename, no path or drive letter names.

6. Interesting. I at least was able to upload the .x3d with one texture...but I have several layers of textures (about 7, I believe) Would i have to flatten these layers of textures and then upload a zip of that flattened texture with the .x3d?

7. mkroeker
    I'm not sure as I never tried with layered textures, but at least theoretically uploading an x3d that uses several texture files should work (I think one of the tutorials mentions an upper limit to the combined resolution of the textures however).