Who Has A 3d Scanner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 431560_deleted, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Or knows of someone who does?

I recently started sculpting 28mm miniatures and wanted to scan them so that I could see how they held up as a 3D print miniature.
    I wanted to see if anyone had ideas where I might get my models scanned without having to buy all the hardware and software myself.

Cheers and Thanks

2. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
    Where do you live?
    There's a list of scanners partnered with Shapeways here.
    https://www.shapeways.com/discover/3d-printed-selfies

This is targeted towards scanning full scale people but they may have smaller detailed ones on site.
    I would send them messages or do a search on google with your city.

3. I'm in southern New Hampshire, USA.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I do, but I'm down in Maryland.

431560_deleted likes this.
  5. What do you have and what do you recommend if I were to look for something on my own?

Cheers

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    First I would try using 123D catch or Autodesk Remake. I've seen decent results with both and can be used for free. At that size and detail, it may not be enough for you though. Unless you have a really good camera to take the pictures with.

431560_deleted likes this.
  7. Thanks, I will check this out and see where it leads me.

8. Jacksonville, FL. Currently I'm on a business trip, but if you want my Artec - don't be shy :)

9. Define "want" - grin. I'm messing around with photo stitching right now, will advise if that goes south.

10. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
  11. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Check your local university. Like for example, my university lets one check out these scanners like checking out a book from a library. Also, see if there are any Fab Labs or the like in your area to see what they have to offer.

I have heard that the photogrammetry method mentioned can be used to scan small objects. For example, take a look at this Instructibles.

In the future, you might like to sculpt digitally using software like Zbrush.

12. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Wow those are some expensive scanners! This DIY photogrammetry is right up my alley, DSLR, 100mm macro lense, Stepper motor, controller, soldering iron - all in the house. I built a pan drive for timelapse photography and so I have a nice junk drawer. -S