Seo Best Practice Workshops: Sign-up Here

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    haha honestly analytics and adwords go deeeeeep.

Most important ideas are understanding what words are driving your traffic, where they come from, how long they stick around and do they buy your awesome products

2. Health_Nut
    Health_Nut Member
    Hi Andrew,

I've used as much tags as possible for most of our products. I'm also using as many hastags as I can find on instagram, but the shop traffic is still pretty low. We have a clear target group, so that shouldn't be the problem. Do you have any points of improvement for us?

3. Andrewsimonthomas
    @Health_Nut You look like your onto a good thing so far, so the best advice is to keep it up!

(We absolutely love the avacado earrings in the office by the way, and congrats on having them featured in the Gift Guide)

A could other ideas:

A few more keywords in the title-- titles are important and the first thing someone reads, if theres something else relevant to say try adding it
    Longer descriptions-- repeat your keywords and play with other terms to help get search

You already have instagram and pinterest set up, so I'd keep those up. You shouldn't spread yourself too thin but your jewelry should be pretty sharable, try finding ways to get people who are into fitness to share it with their friends too. You could share it in a crossfit FB group or fitness reddit (I could see the avacado being huge in r/keto). If you try this, remember to be polite, dont spam and its always best to get the permission of the mods first.

4. martoon
    martoon Member
    when is the next one?

5. UtorCase
    UtorCase Well-Known Member
    Shapeways could improve their SEO if they would increase the 60 character limit on product title length... (If I remember correctly it was some kind of a design decision?? ) Take a hint from Amazon on ideal product title length, and don't base as important decisions as SEO on design (ouch).

Raised this issue a year or two ago via the support email, but the product title is still limited to 60 characters :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Well I'm late to this party. Is any of this information covered or archived somewhere? SEO inquiring minds want to know.

As for titles, I'm wondering if I am messing up things with my proprietary titling for the use of MrNibbles to help organize product names and store views. I went through my products and you'll notice a special character at the beginning of every title. It helps me look at things at a glance and figure out what's going on and sometimes what needs to be done. Here's a key to what I am doing right now:

^product name In this case the ^ simply means that the product has been uploaded to the store.
    +product name In this case the + indicates that the product has been printed, and that I need to add a photo.
    .product name The period denotes a variant product. It doesn't show any print history. I suppose I could add a plus sign after the period but I'd rather do something with the model names instead that are displayed in the "what's in the box" box. This might require a renaming of model names in both the my models section and my design files but that's another matter.

So the immediate question is do those special characters mess up the whole SEO search thing? Would it be preferable to not include the special character or put a space after the character?

7. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    the gist I got was, use the keywords in the product name and description as much as possible in a natural manner. The tags help as well, though product name has the highest influence. Sounds simple, but takes time and experimentation to find the right keywords to that generates the highest search hits. AdWords has a tool to help you find the keywords by showing how many times it's been used in a search per month and how high the competition is (I guess this is determined by how many pages include this keyword). AdWords does require an account that automatically starts an ad campaign, just cancel it as soon as you finish setting up the account. You also get a few calls and emails from Google's sales, just ignore them.

I definitely see an uptick in visitors from "Organic Search", which I assume are visitors from google's search engine, since I've adjusted my product title and descriptions. though for the last month or so there's been a fair bit of spam hits that threw off the data.

8. Andrewsimonthomas
    @MrNibbles yeah having naming conventions like that will ultimately mess up the SEO value of those keywords.

9. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    :(

10. Andrewsimonthomas
    @MrNibbles you can sort based on tags too, that might be a better way to go and still have max SEO value

11. Antbot
    Antbot Member