zcorp z400

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68456_deleted, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    Does anyone have an idea how to get old zcorp machines running? Any useful hints would help.
    The machine makes his round (print head adjustment and table adjustment and then there is an error. Anyone have an idea?

Phil

2. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    i guess send an email to zcorp?

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I think Aeron has one, he may or may not be able to help you.

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    There are many, many things that could go wrong. The first step would be to hook up a monitor and keyboard to see if you can get an error code. I believe Zcorp has an error listing that can help you diagnose the problem. I don't have a Z400, but I assume it still has the VGA/PS2 connections.

Hopefully it is a software fix. Fast-axis errors are common results of worn hardware and Zcorp usually addresses them by replacing the whole assembly.

5. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    Thanks Aeron

Would using a laptop work?
    I have just now finished cleaning all the hoses/tubes.

Phil

6. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    It has its own computer, you just need a monitor and keyboard. New ones might not have the same connectors, but you can scrounge old equipment for nothing (adapters are out there, too). Check the connectors first, but I'm sure if you ask for a VGA monitor and PS2 keyboard on Craiglist they will probably pay you to take it away.

Before doing anything else, give the bearings some grease (grease gun probably came with the machine). Clean the Z-axis screw bearings (underneath) with isopropyl or other solvent, then grease them liberally. Used machines are rarely well maintained and are often just run into the ground because people don't do simple things like this. Not doing this is like running a car without oil.

Beyond that I'm not sure there's much I can do from here. Good luck !

7. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    Thanks!
    The printer is online now! I just had to give everything a good clean powder was disrupting the connects.
    I have tried printing something but it stops in the middle and says multiple deprimes. ???
    To me it seems that there is no binder going thru the machine since all tubes are empty. Would that be a cause of the error? And what is the best way to get the binder back into the machine?

Again thanks and now I am a step closer

Phil

8. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Do not run the machine with the tubes empty! The print heads quickly overheat without liquid flowing through them. Dried binder will clog the head and you'll need to replace the print head. A quick look around the forums tells me the z400 takes print heads based on Canon BC-20. Apparently these are not available because people are modding of-the-shelf cartridges to attach binder tubes. I have no idea how they drill a hole in a full cartridge of ink without getting plastic bits in there, but here is a link to photos from someone in Taiwan who was apparently successful in doing this:

http://3dt.me.ntut.edu.tw/3dt-d/viewthread.php?tid=3566

As far as getting the binder flowing, I can't help you there. It's a simple gravity feed, so if there is something wrong with that part of the system you could make your own delivery system pretty easily.

Sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how it goes.

9. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    As an update:
    Last time I was having problems with the binder flow. I got one of the pumps to work (upper one) but the second pump (lower one is not pumping. I have checked both pumps themselves ti see if they are functional and they are. Somehow the second pump (lower one) is not getting any power. I have checked the connection but they seem to be good.

Any helpful hints as always?

Thanks

Phil

10. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Sorry, Phil. The machine I use doesn't have any pumps. Did you mean the print heads? If you already cleaned the contacts and you aren't getting an error I would tend to assume that the software is not trying to address the head.

You could always call Zcorp...but I'm pretty sure you'd be paying them more than you paid for the machine just to come look at it.

If you continue to have trouble you could always try something like this (also from the Taiwan research site):

[​IMG]

I have to warn you though, do not attempt these sort of advanced taping techniques without the supervision of an experienced mechanical engineer. :D

11. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    Looks interesting! Getting someone from zcorp to fix the machine will cost way to much, like you said more than what the machine is worth.
    I have gotten the binder flowing now! It turns out that I had to extra clean one of the pumps. Now the binder is flowing perfectly thru the machine. I have made some test prints and they are ok for the first try but not how I like them to be. I am getting stripes thru out the print(attached photo). I am assuming its because I am working with expired binder (zb7) and that the powder that I have is not made for this binder (unknown powder). Plus with all the testing that I have been doing to get the machine running I am sure that the print head is no longer what it should be. I will try the technique with the canon print head as you have showed me and will let you know how it came out, originals cost about 250 which is crazy.
    Now my task is to get the a nice and even print with the machine.

Again thanks for the all the hints

Phil

Attached Files:

• test.jpg

test.jpg

File size:
      235.2 KB
      Views:
  12. 73437_deleted
    73437_deleted Member
    HI, I just got though putting one of these back together, It's the first 3d printer I've seen/worked on but it's working now. I've seen mine do striping like that, how deep are the stripes? And does it go to the "carwash" after the stripes and right itself? print a little bit and the repeat? I think the printer heads are getting clogged with powder on mine, but I haven't found a way of getting it to go to the carwash more frequently. depending on the amount I'm printing on a heavy loaded print It'll go to the car wash often, and I'll see stuff like you have in the pic. on a light print, it may miss a few layers. behaves the same on zcorp binder and the cheap stuff. Beginning to think my saturation is too high...

Also I've moded the cartridge similar to the way the Taiwanese guy did haven't had any problems with plastic getting past the sponge, but I'm mostly not using zcorp binder or powder, went with the cheap 5 dollars a gallon, 50 cent a pound stuff.

13. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    what kind of binder and powder are you using. It would be great to find cheaper printer material. Would really love to get this printer running.

I tried moded a cartridge, but I think my mistake was to take out the sponge. By doing that the cartridge overflowed with binder. It worked well for a few runs but then stopped with an error message of multiple deprimes.

The stripes are deep about a 2mm. It goes to the carwash quite often but there is no difference.

I believe I just need to get the right powder with a working cartridge and at the moment I dont wish to spend a lot of money on this since I got the machine for free and to ship material to my location cost so much (zürich Switzerland)

At the moment I had to put a pause on my project but hope to get going again real soon.

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Free!?!?!? I would love to have one to tinker with.

15. 73437_deleted
    73437_deleted Member
    check out open3dp, for zxorp use xf1 binder and hydroperm for the powder. when you say you over filled how, also how did you remove the sponge without cutting the top off? I drill two holes in the side of the cartidge one a halfinch from top( return line) one quater inch from bottom of sticker( source line). plug them with those needles you use to fill basket balls with air( what ever they are called) cut to about half an inch with a dremmel. sell all the holes with the 3200psi plastic epoxy( air duct too). and use zip ties to keep the pressure on the lines. no where for mine to leak out.

I am thinking of modding the bc-20 thermal cartridge to an hp piezo electric cartridge when I get the time to study the protocol on hp little better, bc-20s are getting harder to find...

16. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    I cut the top off and that was my mistake. I have made a new lid for it but it was not air tight. I wanted to see if I can go about it in a different way.
    Thanks for the tips in cheap materials that I would be able to use. I will try it out and give you an update when I get around to it.

In the long run I wish to offer cheap 3d printing here in Zurich Switzerland along with professional printing. So that everyone can print!
    3D printing is such an exciting theme and should be available to all who desire it.

So in the end a walk-in 3D printing copy shop.

17. 73437_deleted
    73437_deleted Member
    out of curiosity, are you using zprint with your machine? I'm sing holes on my models in zprint( ie in the layers(2d mode)) that are not there, and I'm getting holes in the surfaces of m prints. The model is water tight, there are no internal structures inside the model, it's faces are all in the right direction. cant figure it out.

18. 68456_deleted
    68456_deleted Member
    yes I am using zprint it seems to working well. As update on my z400 it was running perfectly with my own mixture of powder and binder and the canon BC-20 print head. But now I have ran into the prom that the print head got over heated. I tried re-working it but it made everything worse and now I have the error of abnormal porogram termination. Does anyone know what I can do about that?

In regards to the holes in your model I wish I can help you with that what I do not know what the cause oif that would be - sorry

I would also like to thank everyone that has been heelping me with my project without you guys nI would not have came this far.