Silver Ring Question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Double_Alfa, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Double_Alfa
    Double_Alfa Member
  2. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Hi Ammar!

This type of finish is a patina and not yet offered by Shapeways. However, you can create this look using a black patina once you have received your design.

3. Double_Alfa
    Double_Alfa Member
    Thank you very much Virginia. Very helpful info. It turned out that all what I need is sulfur that can simply be made at home with a boiled egg :)

Well, I'll share this link for anyone else who might be interested in knowing the process:

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah, when I first did it I used an egg also. You can also use bleach, but bleach makes a kind of dark gray more than a black. The blackest black that you can get on silver or sterling silver is with a mixture of hydrochloric acid and tellurium dioxide, which are in a product called Midas Black. Numerous other manufacturers have these same ingredients too because I don't think anyone owns the rights to it. It makes a perfect black in under 5 seconds. Also, you can use it like paint to paint it on and as you paint it nearly instantly turns black as you paint. That comes in handy sometimes when you want to touch up minute areas.