New Dice designs..

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 28396_deleted, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Very beautiful organic design.

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Thanks

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl !

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  5. mctrivia
    d12 at least won't work. multiple numbers will be on top.

Thanks about my daughter. she is so cute to just hold and watch.

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    It is designed well.. thanks for your concern
    Each face has only 1 number facing it clearly and originating from the bottom of that face.

play with the 3D viewer to see.

One other point you raised on the other dice thread - large number of designs will work against you not for you - i'm going to cut on my inventory by 80% and display only the ones that had 2 copies or more sold in the last year....

After doing some numbers crunching on Google Adwords it hit me that an average visitor cant handle large anount of displayed designs - you the shop owner have 1 to 3 minutes AT BEST to create a sale especially from search engines traffic who are looking for what they are searching for and do not want to be bothered with what 3D printing is and how shapeways works..

Just look at some of the prominent designers shops on shapeways - they have only best sellers designs on their shops - more to the point 1 to 3 pages of designs.

Of course if that's not the case on your side have a continued success.

Since around the date Ben left.. my sales dropped to zero.. :rolleyes:
    I'll see if this new approach will work..

7. mctrivia
    I see now how you are suppose to read it. Yes it can be read accurately. Thanks for explaining how to properly read.

As for reducing inventory check out this thread: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5902&a mp;start=0&

You can keep the dice available without taking up space by hiding and making items that act as menus.

For me it is not about sales. It is about trying to design things that are as close to mathematically perfect that are not easily doable.

Hence why I like odd number dice, and challenge myself to crazy limits(Making 191 dice in 2 weeks). I like to see sales because it means my models are out there and people like them. But I could care less about how much I make which is why I try to keep all my dice to $9.99 when possible and let the profit suffer.

P.S. ANother way to help your shopers is use the magic menu. It lets you make a muti level sorted drop down menu so customers can find what they want quick.

P.P.S analytic shows my average site time as 3 to 20min. Depending on the source.

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    :laughing: ok

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I am also considering reducing my inventory by removing models that never sold (is that in contradiction with the long tail model of Shapeways?).
    I would like to do a campain called perhaps "Save a model": all the models with no sale will be put with, say, a $1 markup for a period of time, and if they do not sale during this period they will be deleted.
    So you can save a design by buying it for a discounted price.

BTW, Dizingof, your new dice are very interesting because their wireframe-like shapes save a lot of material and make them affordable: that's the paradox of today's 3D printing: it is so expensive that it works better for 2D (shells) or even 1D (wireframes) designs :)

10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @Magic I dont design a die by how affordable it is going to be..

I recall a conversation i had with a dice collector back in Sept. 2010 when i started designing dice... , he claims he buys a lot of dice and i should lower my markup to a few dollars... my reply to him was: that he is practically getting a private designer doing original and interesting dice designs for his huge collection at a fraction of the cost he would have paid hiring a designer ...

So offering a design for pennies or for $1-$3 is ridiculous giving the man-hours put for each design.. by me, you, and the rest of the fellow designers on shapeways who joined this niche thinking it's a goldmine (well if dizingof is popping a new dice every few hours then it must be a gold mine.. :laughing: )

As for these new dies on this thread, saving material on them didn't even cross my mind - i stumbled on some new exciting 3d software tools which i'm curious to learn (always) and when ever i see a pattern or a cool shape that could be made as a new and exciting design i go for it.

Of course.. i do limit the size and volume to reflect a reasonable (yet still ridiculous) price for a potential collector
    ( all 3 of them :laughing: )

Have fun guys ;)

11. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Affordability, markups...
    Let go on this discussion here.
    ;)

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    A new theme of dice set in the making - a mathematical Gyroid Dice set

Gyroid D4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Gyroid D8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gyroid D10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In case you missed my other post , i basically intersect a Gyroid with the right wall thickness with any shape and the result is stunning .. such as the above dice and this Gyroid Vase

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  16. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  17. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Very cool new designs! They look great in metal.

What I don't understand is why they often show up on the "3D Puzzles" page. A die is not a puzzle. Why do they appear under

Gallery -> Theme Overview -> 3D Puzzles

??

18. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Thanks

I went thru the entire 14 pages of the gallery puzzles and i did not see any of my models there - you're mistaken me for someone else

19. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Strange ... here is what it looks like for me ...

SWScreen.jpg

20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member