New Cufflink design that, may be impossible... :D

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Ray716, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Hey all,

So I've been working on this design for some time, and I've only JUST recently been able to make the changes and updates to it that i've been wanting to make.

Now here is the BIG problem.. I'm not sure it's going to be able to be printed... Each Cufflink has 6 parts (for a total of 12) !!! Ideally I would want this printed in Silver, but I'm not yet sure if it's possible...

So let me know what you think, and before people suggest it, Yes, I've already sent a message to customer service, I'm just waiting for a reply. :D

Thanks for your time,
    Ray

Gear Cufflink.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Only natural couples are allowed in silver, so I'm sure the answer will be no.

3. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    You're probably right, and that's what I've been thinking... But it's still a brilliant design.. so we shall see what happens. :D If anything, i can put everything into separate files... maybe even have the gears printed in another material. :D

Ray

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That is what I was thinking as well, they would look good in different finishes of stainless, if they're thick enough.

5. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Not anymore.. when i did the re-design i made them to be sized for silver...but it would be fairly simple to cut and paste the parts i redesigned to be thicker for stainless steel or maybe even the glass, that would be kewl. :D

Ray

6. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    The only way those many pieces can be made al at once and have a pair of each you would need to link them all together then cut them and assemble them if you want it in silver. Kinda sucks because you have a nice looking design but it is possible in taking those additional steps.

7. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    One question, why dont you merge all 6 parts to form one part per cufflink or is the whole purpose of this design to have 6 parts per cufflink?

8. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    The whole idea of the design is to have 3 moving gears... the big gear orbits the cufflink base, and the medium and small gears hold it down and are connected to each other. Then the two screws hold down the medium and small gears.

Now i can get rid of the two screws by making prongs to be pushed out... then the three gears could be ordered in glass or stainless or something... But overall it's imperative that the 3 gears stay turn-able.. at leat for this particular design.. :D

Ray