Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65166_deleted, Apr 28, 2011.

1. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    Let us know what you get this time, because when I look at our email delivery stats, they are really good (which means I don't expect them to be blocked as spam between our server and your inbox). This doesn't include your local email client's spam filter, though, so that could be blocking it...

-Ben

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    It might be a long shot, vecna42, but are you a US based Comcast customer... they got some weird stuff going on atm re spam IP blocking... it so, Ben (horst) expect incoming bounced emails in 3 days or less!

3. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Though, even if the email is blocked the model should have gone through (unless it had thin walls or something like that).

Re: vecna42
    Can you send me the designs you want to upload and what dimensions you'd like it? I can try it on my machine and see. nancy (at) shapeways (dot) com.

Thanks,
    Nancy

4. vecna42
    vecna42 Member
    Funny enough, all these positive thoughts must have kicked something loose -- the third time I tried uploading the exact same file, everything worked perfectly. Got the initial, "We got it" message, and the "Success" message that followed a minute or two later.

I appreciate everyone's brain power. Nothing beats the power of positive thinking, I guess. :)

Oh, and I'll add my vote for rounded bevelling of edges as a nice additional feature.

5. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    This image popper script is really useful, but I came across the need to create a hole shaped like an image. So would it be possible for the next iteration that if you added a base, placing negative numbers for the "popping" part would give you a hole instead? That would be just grand!

6. writerwolf
    writerwolf Member
    If I'm understanding your problem correctly all you have to do is draw your own "frame" and color in the "negative space" (really positive in the final model) around your hole yourself. Basically just draw your model "backwards" (or even use the invert tool in your paint program).

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you and you have a more complex issue than I'm seeing ;)

7. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    :eek:
    You sir, are a genius! I swear, one day my face and palm will one day be fused!

8. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    I'd quite like to be able to download the design as an .stl file, that way the user if they wish can add additional details or maybe mount the design on a ring or attach a hoop to allow the "popper" to be hung on a neckless etc

Regards,

Jack

9. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    In fact, you can, although there is no immediate method (which I would support by the way :)).After you have the model on the 'my designs' page, you can download associated output.stl by clicking the download button on the sidebar on the model's viewing page. After that it's normal import into blender or what-not you use.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  10. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    In that case I suggest the ability to download strait away, rather than uploading, placing in the shop, downloading and finally deleting/updating the geo of the popper to replace it with the neckless, ring, etc

Regards,

Jack

11. 84634_deleted
    84634_deleted Member
    I am running into some of the same issues here.
    I tried uploading an image with a thickness of .008 inches (around .2mm).
    The website said I successfully uploaded the file but I did not recieve an email confirmation nor a email reporting a failure.
    I assume it was because it was too thin because it worked when I tried much thicker tests.
    Is there a rule now for minimum thickness?

12. writerwolf
    writerwolf Member
    Ok, here's an idea that would solve a problem that I'm running into and might make the product more appealing to many deisgners, AND it might be easy(ish) to implement:

2-Sided Popper.

I'm desigining custom tokens for a board-game I'm developing, and the "popper" utility it proving to be the PERFECT solution to prototype (possibly even create for production) the token designs.

However, certain tokens in the game can be played differently depending on whether they are placed "Side A" or "Side B" facing up. I really need each "face" to feature a different design to indicate these options.

My current plan is to "pop" each image seperately, download the models, and (hopefully successfully) use my deeply mediocre 3D rendering skills to marry them back-to-back and then I'll re-upload.

It'd be GREAT if the Popper could be extended to accept 2 images, and automatically extrude each image to 50% of the thickness of the end-model, placing them back-to-back (perhaps with a flat-plane sandwiched in between, or not, not sure which would be easier.)

I'm sure it's not a quick fix, but it seems like a pretty straight forward extension of the concept, and I sure know I'd find a million uses for it!

Just a thought!
    Eric

13. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    Just a thought on:

* Translating Grayscale to Z-Height

Using transparency in the image would be the obvious thing for specifying where the boundary of the shape is, because you can't use white for background of the image any more. Alternatively, it might be easier for people to use a different colour (red, for example) for the background.

14. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    As a total newbie, I would like to second the idea for different base options. A circle and oval would be wonderful and having the base conform to the actual design would be amazing.

I think this feature is a godsend to people with limited 3D experience. I really hope this feature keeps evolving!!!

I've been having a blast trying out different shapes but I'd like a way to do some engraving rather than cutting all the way through (negative space) and the different base options should be able to solve that.

Thanks shapeways!!

15. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Ok, this is a really tiny thing but when you update the image popper is there any chance you could move the privacy settings to the first page like you do with the normal upload feature? If we could check (or uncheck as the case may be) the available for sale, view on site on the first page when we're uploading the image that would be a wonderful time saver.

16. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    Also, I don't suppose a batch upload would be a problem would it? The overhead for uploading just three models at a time now is crazy, but a batch upload would make things just grand!

17. Hi, I think that maybe will be fine a Coin designer or Medallion designer.

For example:
    Step 1. Chose the Obverse image
    Step 2. Chose the Reverse image
    Step 3. Chose your Rim (maybe you can create a particular Rims)
    Step 4. Chose the Edge image or Type (maybe you can create some types)

FYI: http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/ss/coinanatomy.htm

Regards

18. Shapeways
    Shapeways Member
    Hey! Thanks for your feedback. I want to get back to this but other things keep getting in the way, but the good news is we've hired some awesome Product Designers (well one really awesome Product Designer) and she's working on making even better creators. I just wanted to let you guys know that your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed.

Thanks all!

19. Lindsley60
    Lindsley60 Member
    Sorry, I don´t understand that the model have to be paid. I think that I could try without paying, that the creation model was automatic. Please, forgive me and cancel the creation of the model "Folha B&W.jpg" uploaded today.
    Sorry again.

Lindsley60

20. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Lindsley60, the model creation is automatic and you can download the model from your model page. Printing the model is what is paid for.

You can delete the model yourself by going to your My Models page and clicking on the trashcan icon under the image.