I'm reinventing the shoebox... I need help getting a 3D model printed for client samples.

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 395006_deleted, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hey gang -

I have a really great 3D packaging guy I work with, but I'm always looking for additional help. I'm currently working on a new personal project. I'm trying to "reinvent" the shoebox, aka redesign it with my own idea invented over 10 years ago called "Matchbox" packaging. This design and the functionality of it is currently "patent pending" via the US patent office, yadda yadda... Here is what it looks like and how it works:

http://www.chrisdarmon.com/Matchbox-Shoe-Packaging-R4

I need help specifically in trying to get this 3D rendering modeled into a smaller 3D printed variation and this is my first go at 3D printing ever. Need some help/advice. I can pay the right person to assist me (or promote your company heavily as I can't afford a ton for extra help right now). If this takes off, those things could certainly change and you'd be greatly valued in my eyes as a "business partner" of sorts.

Let me know if anyone is interested in helping me. I believe my buddy uses Cinema 4D for the renderings, need to ask him.

Thanks in advance,
    CD
    chris @ cirquemedia .com
    (minus spaces)

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. How much for like a 3 to 4 inch model? It's a 2 piece design... The inner tray slides in and out like a matchbox.

If not too expensive I'd like to get 3 or 4 total pieces made to start out with...

Thanks in advance,
    CD

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That's the rough size I gave you.. 102mm=4inches and would cost $33.00 per piece you have printed.

On your design, your 3-4 degree slope is probably not enough. 3D Printed items are considerably thicker than paper or cardboard, and won't stack well with only a 3 degree slope.

5. Let me get my 3D render guy to export a file.... What is the preferred file format you use? I think my buddy works in Cinema 4D. I am not a 3D designer myself... The price sounds good, I can tweak the angle and not concerned about complete functionality and accuracy... I just want to see the general shape with a matchbox sliding tray. Cool cool?

I'll be in touch soon, let me know on file formats...

Thanks in advance,
    CD