HOn30 Mallet from a Micro-Ace N gauge loco

Discussion in 'Tips and How-tos' started by pinddle, Mar 1, 2015.

1. pinddle
    pinddle Member
    I've designed some parts that can be used to turn a Micro-Ace N gauge Mallet into a HOn30 loco.
    This is the donor model.
    MAM_6.jpg

I've designed a new tender body, cab and pilot specifically for this model.
    MAM_3.jpg

For the boiler fittings (domes, stack etc) the parts designed for my 2-8-0 conversion can be used.

This shows what can be achieved just using the new parts.
    MAM_7.jpg

There is plenty of scope for further detailing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. pinddle
    pinddle Member
    The Tender

You can keep the original tender chassis, with its pick-ups, and put a new body on it. Or you can replace the whole tender, my tender with trucks will work.

I have designed a new body that can be used with the model's original chassis. To use this, you have to cut away the original body from the chassis. You also need to unsolder the wires the wires from the chassis, ans use some extra wire to extend them before re-soldering them (about 2cm will do).
    The new body is designed to sit on the weight in the tender, it will need some glue to keep it in place.
    There is a mount for a Micro-trains 1015 coupler at the rear.
    At the front, drill a hole in the front and insert a piece of brass rod (or similar) bent over to form a coupling to engage in the locos drawbar.
    MAM_S_4.jpg
    MAM_S_1.jpg

3. pinddle
    pinddle Member
    The Cab

The new cab is a direct replacement for the original cab, which should just pull off. The pipes just in front of it may need trimming slightly.
    The new cab will probably need gluing in place to keep it level.
    MAM_S_2.jpg

4. pinddle
    pinddle Member
    The Pilot

To fit the new pilot you must first cut off the original one, just ahead of the cylinders.
    The new pilot can then be glued to the front. A Micro-trains 1015 coupler will fit into it.
    MAM_S_3.jpg
    MAM_9.jpg