First Creations

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Schmeagle, May 8, 2017.

1. Schmeagle
    Schmeagle Well-Known Member
    A bit of an intro: I've done 3d modelling off and on over the years. I took a class in college for Maya and played with Blender on many occasions, mostly for failed game development attempts. Unfortunately, as with most of my hobbies, it was abandoned when life got busy.

Recently, my brother purchased a 3D printer. As my family has a history of going too far with hobbies, I told him that he'd get his fun out of it, and then it would probably end up on the shelf collecting dust. Boy, did I make a mistake. Before I knew it, I had reinstalled Blender and started playing around, with only my second attempt at a model already being sent to his 3D printer. Of course, during this time, I also discovered Shapeways and their wide range of materials. It wasn't long until several orders were already under way in different materials.

Well, the excitement kicked into full gear when I received my first Shapeways print. There it was...my creation...in my hand...in the real world. I was hooked.

But anyway...onto the pictures. The following are a couple of creations I've done so far. I will post more as I receive them in those joy-bringing Shapeways boxes.

Mr. Bear
    [​IMG]
    A quick model of a bear with his freshly caught lunch. I decided that porcelain was a good material for him. Some day, I plan to make him into a toothbrush holder.

Golden Birdy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my first attempts with the Pendant Creator App. A golden bird with outstretched wings. I started with inspiration from a small totem pole in my office, but the design evolved quite a bit from there. It can be hung as a pendant from a necklace, but I'm thinking I might place it on the front of a fancy wooden case that holds my replica revolver.

Leaf
    [​IMG]
    Also designed in the Pendant Creator App. A small leaf designed for polished brass. It will soon find a place on my humidor, complementing the brass hygrometer already in place.

That's it for now. I still have another order on the way and so many more creations that I'd like to bring to life.

Thank you for looking, and thank you, Shapeways, for bringing my ideas to life!

dogmaticpyrrhonist likes this.
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Very nice! I really like the porcelain bear!

3. Schmeagle
    Thanks! I was very happy with how he turned out.

4. Schmeagle
    I recently got a chance to try a couple placement configurations on my humidor for the leaf design.

Here's the leaf's new home:
    [​IMG]

shawn_halayka likes this.
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I didn't even read that that was going on a humidor! That looks perfect!