File Format Not Accepted

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 2048239_deleted, May 4, 2018.

1. I wanted to get a quote on Shapeways as its self service and the factory is near me. We have a small mold we are making. We did the design by hand had it digitized and converted to standard formats. steps and iges.

Not sure what to do as I cant upload it and I dont want to pay to have it converted if Shapeways isnt the right place. Does anyone know what I can do?

2. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    The industry standard format is Stereo Lithography (STL). It consists of triangles.

3. thanks for sharing but that doesnt help the problem. I chose those formats because they are also used commonly. I dont know how to convert it and the designer alreay has been paid

4. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    So then you may want to expose your modeling app, solidworks, Rhino, Etc and ask for application specific support. I can convert IGS, STEP etc but you need to have your own pipeline. -S

5. Thanks for the response. As you can tell I am not a designer, what do you mean by pipeline? I am in process of trying to figure out if Shapeways can be used for food grade molds and I guess after that I should tackle the conversion

6. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Pipeline meaning end to end solution, design to 3D print for example.

7. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    While its not a perfect solution longterm, You could always download the program "FreeCad." It can import STEP and IGES formats. Once in, export out again to STL format.
    STEP and IGES are more common for subtractive machining techniques. The standard for 3d printing, as stated above is STL.

shawn_halayka likes this.