Edge radius for sharp edges to look and feel 'good'

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by lanceatkins, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lanceatkins
    lanceatkins Member
    Hi Shapewaysers!

Quick question... I'm preparing a part for printing with colored strong&flexible. The part is going to have 'sharp' edges, and I currently have them designed with 90 degree bends and no radius to ease the edge. I have a feeling those crisp edges might end up feeling sharp and gritty... is this true? Is there a small radius you could recommend to keep the edges looking crisp (for cosmetic reasons), but also remove any harsh "feeling" to the edges? Or maybe there's just some magic-ish number you would recommend just works best in 3d applications? Cheeeeeeers!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    A sharp angle will come out fairly sharp. Really any radius on there would be good, as long as you make it at least the minimum detail size for WSF. I'd say at least .2mm.

3. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    A 90 degree angle is not going to feel sharp for most cases. Strong Flexible material is always a bit rough no matter how you curve it.

The only case where I would worry about a 90 degree edge if it's in permanent contact with skin, say the inside of a ring or bracelet. There I would agree with Youknowwho4eva

Greetings
    Dragoman