can be printed in ceramic?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Josenarvaez, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    this is my first vase design. i call it the dna vase. it is about 29.7 cms high and 15 cms wide bind only to the base and having a thickness of 5mm.
    here it is a photo. my question is do you think it can be printed in ceramics? what do you think? i´m looking for a second opinion

snapshot01.png

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You may have a problem with lack of support in the design. Also is it hollow through? That may cause issues with glazing as they can't guarantee the glazing inside, and may even get sealed with glaze.

3. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    yes it is hollow about 2cms width all trough the wires and it have a thickness of 5mm. what do you you mean that it can get sealed? here it's a photo from the inside hollow

dna vase.jpg

4. Youknowwho4eva
    I mean there is no way to assure the thickness of the glaze inside at the bottom. Gravity will pull the glaze down while baking. Read through this thread for issues regarding hollow tubes in ceramics

5. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    well, for sure it is not necesary a "perfect" glaze from the inside hollow. nobody will notice that when it have flowers on it. :) i read the thread about the issues for hollow tubes, i´m still working on this design now. maybe if i make some few changes like a stronger base and a less curved tubes or small tubes, do you think it might work?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    If not, you'll get a rejection reason with suggestions on making it printable.

7. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    I'll take note thanks for the advice

8. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Shapeways ceramics should be treated like earthenware which AFAIK is porous i.e. water will seep through and leak through any unglazed parts. I found this out with my Alien Ampule Vase ;) so I would expect your model to be the same. A quick google reveals that there is no 'good' way to seal such vessels against moisture other than glazing.

Other than lack of support for the tubes, another issue might be if the tubes at the top are too close i.e. <2mm some glaze might span this gap or at the very least span and 'pool' just before the area where the tubes separate.

I really like the design and would love to see it printed! Good luck!

Steven

9. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    tubes at the top are approximately away from each other about 7.7mm then there would be no issues. I'm redesigning the vase taking into account their suggestions on the enamelled on the inside and a stronger base.
    i saw your vase and understand what you say thanks for your opinion it helps me a lot.
    and yes I just can´t wait to see it printed too :)

10. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I wonder if you have tried the time-proven method of using "water glass" (sodium silicate solution) ?

11. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I've never heard of water glass; I see it is used, amongst other things, for sealing concrete and so on... Looks promising, thanks for the heads up!

Steven