Alternatives To Silver Antique Finish

Discussion in 'Materials' started by tunewhim, Oct 1, 2021.

1. tunewhim
    tunewhim Member
    Hello Shapeways Community,
    I have created models in Silver with Antique finish and they are EXCEPTIONAL .
    See the model below just received from Shapeways.
    The finish and visibility of the debossed (recessed) areas are exactly as desired.
    The only issue is the cost for a model can be quite high.
    Are there any Shapeways metal materials and finishes that come close to Silver with Antique finish or at least provide an alternative?
    Thanks!

P1070823.JPG

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Buy some liver of sulfur and DIY. Can look a bit blue and is hard to polish out so don't keep it in too long. Natural oxidation is the best but takes a while.

3. tunewhim
    tunewhim Member
    Thanks for the Liver of Sulfur tip. From what I’ve read so far Liver of Sulfur will impact the entire model.

I am looking for a Shapeways out of the box alternative metal and finish that might provide a similar look to the Silver Antique finish especially the darkened recessed areas of the model.

Have you tried other Shapeways materials and finishes to achieve a similar look?

Thanks!

4. tunewhim
    tunewhim Member
    I think that what Shea_Design is saying based on what I’ve read about Liver of Sulfur.
    I am first looking for an out of the box approach with existing metals and finishes.
    Any experience with Silver Antique and possible alternatives?
    Thanks!

5. I am searching for a Shapeways out-of-the-box alternative metal and finish that would produce an appearance that is comparable to that of the Silver Antique finish, particularly in the portions of the model that have been darker and recessed. snow rider 3d