Additional artifacts added when uploading model

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 1175836_deleted, May 23, 2016.

1. Attached Files:

2. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    I just brought this into Sketchup, and it looks exactly lie the mage ion the SW file. Whats it supposed to be and whats it supposed to look like? All I see is something that looks a little like a visor to a helmet maybe, composed of 75-100 triangles. What other polygons are you referring to?
    Maybe a JPEG of what you are trying to model would help.

-Mark

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    If the general shape is correct, but you expected a smoothly curved object, you have probably used some visual smoothing effect in your design software that plays with the shading to make a low polygon object appear more complex than it actually is instead of actually subdividing the surface polygons to achieve the desired smoothness. If on the other hand you expected openings or small details that are lost in the current model, there must have been holes in the mesh that shapeways' software tried to close in order to arrive at a printable object.
    As 8_Perf wrote, without knowing what the object should look like it is not easy to suggest a fix.

4. I'm not expecting a curved object - I actually want it to be quite angular.

It looks fine to me in sketchup as well - but checkout the screenshot from the 3d tool under wall thickness.

Attached Files:

5. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Wall thickness is a decimated / volumetric version of your model to run the calculus. The blue is repair areas IIRC. Look at the preview of the model. -S