Ring Setting Prongs: Wall Thickness?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by thomasp, Jan 28, 2024.

1. thomasp
    thomasp Member
    Hi all,
    I am working on an engagement ring for my girlfriend!
    My plan: do a gold plated brass prototype before ordering in 18k yellow gold. I've looked through the forums and google but not found anything that really 100% answers my question.

I've tried uploading a first WIP model to Shapeways just to get an idea for price and the analysis in the 3d tools.
    Most things look great, with "Wall Thickness" being the only category that pops a warning.

The main area where this is a problem is the setting for the gem: the prongs (basically cylinders pointing up) in my model currently have a DIAMETER of 0.8mm, and the Wall Thickness check colors these red.
    Same thing for some open filigree which I want to have on the side connecting the bridge of the ring and the setting.

I tried using the automatic "Fix" in the 3d tools, but this results in an incredibly low poly model with most details all over the ring (even in unproblematic areas) being erased.

Looking around the Shapeways Marketplace, I get the impression that some of the products there have features that would be flagged yellow or red in the Wall Thickness check.

Therefore, my question is: how strict is the Wall Thickness check? Will a model with any yellow/red areas automatically be rejected? Or (since we are on the subject of gold, let's quote a Hollywood pirate) - are these things more like guidelines than actual rules?

Thanks for any help or advice you may have :)

2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    I'll try to answer your questions. First of all, a lot of the pieces in the Marketplace have been posted as renders despite failing wall thickness checks. I wouldn't rely too much on them for guidance.

As for the 0.8 mm diameter, is that before or after the addition of a subsurface modifier? If it's before, then the addition of the ssm is dropping your diameter below 0.8 mm.

I have several pieces that are printed regularly despite having some questionable thicknesses. It's always a lot more complicated than that first check, and depending on the geometry, the thinner parts can be printed. Once you order, the engineers make that call and they will let you know if they don't think it's printable. I regularly print earrings with post diameters of 0.9 mm and lengths of 9 mm. Prongs for holding gems are going to be shorter than earring posts, so they should be printable at 0.8 mm.

One last thought, I would probably print the prototype in polished solid brass instead of gold-plated, if I were you. It's a little less expensive, and it's a better approximation of the solid gold because the plating does add a small amount of thickness if you're also checking it for size.

Good luck!