Need Help Modeling Tires Pattern?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1334289_deleted, Oct 13, 2019.

1. 1334289_deleted
    1334289_deleted Active Member
    Like the motorcycle tires pattern, I find them hard to model. Any suggestions how to do it?

Attached Files:

2. CaptH
    CaptH Well-Known Member
    Which program are you using?

3. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Not knowing what program you are using, the general idea is to think of the raised tread as a skin applied to an inner smooth tire. The pattern across the width of the tread is a shallow V-shape of raised lumps, and every other V is mirrored, so you need to model one of these V's , create its mirror image so you have two V's (one facing each way), and then copy them as arrays around the edge of the tire. The detail of how to do it is more involved, but at least that's the basic concept!

4. 1334289_deleted
    I use 3ds max R3, I'm will to try a new problem if it's free.

I get the concept, bending the V or have a shape on the dunut for extrude is where I got stuck.

5. 1334289_deleted
    Thanks guys, think I found the answer. Don't know why I didn't just google it, they way he did it in the video is quite simple. Yeah... this should work.

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I do it quite a bit simpler.
    - build one copy of the 4 basic shapes
    - duplicate that group many times, rotating each group evenly about the axle
    - intersect the result with a cylinder that is slightly thicker (tread depth) than the tire itself
    No real "bending" required.

7. 1334289_deleted
    I get the rotating part, but how to building the 4 basic shapes not sure I follow.

I have been playing around with the bend tool, and realize how little I know about it. I plan to do this,
    1. design a repeatable pattern on a flat plane.
    2. bend the plane into a "C" shape.
    3. made many copies of the "C" section, and connect them. now I get a tube.
    4. bend the tube 360 into a tire.

8. 1334289_deleted
    Did a quick test, looks like it will work. For the real thing, the tube needs to be a lot longer. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

9. barkingdigger
    I don't know 3DS so cannot say if that's the best way. In AutoCAD I would draw a flat cross-section profile of the tyre as a polygon, then use the "sweep" command to extrude it around a circle to form the basic donut of the tyre.

10. 1334289_deleted
    I know loft, but hardly use it. sweep is new to me, may be better way. The pattern I have in mind is very simple. just "/" and "\"

\ /
    \ /
    \ /

11. 1334289_deleted
    Here's the final result, the hard part for me is to get the pattern in scale with the preexist tire. oh well, enough about tire... move on!

thanks guys

Attached Files:

12. barkingdigger
    Looks good! Glad you managed to expand your "toolbox" of modelling techniques!