Ring Bracelet Polished Bronze By Oskar

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Shapeways fans,

Ring Bracelet is based on an idea by Carl Hoff. Carl's idea was to have a puzzle ring, in which the set of rings is linked in a loop, similar to Weave Five, such that the scrambled puzzle can be worn as a bracelet. He calculated that 10 rings would be needed for this. Bram Cohen analysed what the order of the rings should be in the solved state. Oskar found a weave that worked, and he produced a few prototypes in plastic to perfect the design.

This is a prototype in metal, which works perfectly. A limitation of the Shapeways interlocking metal process is that it only supports up to six interlocking parts, not ten. This was solved by splitting the bracelet in two identical halves, order two, cut some rings, link them into the bracelet and solder the rings. The solder does not look so nice, but the result works fine.

Watch the YouTube video.
    Watch the solve video of the silver version (made specially for my by PuzzleRingMaker).
    Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
    Read more at the Non Twisty Puzzles Forum.
    Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
    Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-01.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-02.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-03.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-04.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-05.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-06.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-08.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-09.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-10.jpg Ring-Bracelet-v5b---view-11.jpg

2. squaredance
    squaredance Member
    Hello Oskar,
    this is a very nice ring. Well, I think you could avoid soldering. Just add a small support structure which would make the model a six part one or even better. Cutting and local polishing yourself - in fact this will be needed - is easier.
    However, may be they dislike this "hack" as they did my 30 ring chainmail sample some time ago.

Regards,
    Armin

3. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    Very nice indeed,
    You probably know this already, but you could of course use brass solder to make the joint more discreet. :)

4. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Thanks for the tip. Where does one buy brass solder? How does the soldering work?

5. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018