How Thick Does A 14k Gold Pendant Have To Be ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 2103902_deleted, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Hello,

I'm wondering, If I want to print something similar to the attached design in 14k yellow gold, what minimum thickness do I want to design it at so that it will be of decent strength. Would 0.5mm be strong enough or would that just end up bending with minimum effort ? Do I have to go up to 1mm .. 1.5mm ?
    I'm talking about the "O" thing in the picture - the pendant dimensions are 1.5cm x 1.5cm.
    052866FC00_set.jpg
    Thanks!

2. Peter3D
    Peter3D Well-Known Member
    2103902_deleted likes this.
  3. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member

I thought the same, but it dousn't say much about strength.
    I never worked with gold, so cannot realy say, but to my knowledge its more malleable so maybe it needs to be more thick then with silver.

2103902_deleted likes this.
  4. Thanks, this helps, but that doesn't help that very much. Good to know that 0.6mm is technically possible - but how will that actually turn up behaving when in that shape - will it be acceptable or will it crumble up with the slightest force ? I'm thinking I want it to support 5kg at the center when only supported at the ends.

5. Peter3D
    Peter3D Well-Known Member
    0,6 will not work.
    0,8 is the minimum thickness, otherwise, it will be rejected.

I think the minimum wall thickness per material represents the minimally acceptable strength of the material.
    Thicker is more sturdy, ... but more expensive.

Embossed details that are too tall are more likely to chip and break during production (unless the detail meets the minimum wall requirements).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Jewelry strength is a little subjective.
    Pendants can be thinner than ring shanks, especially rings meant for everyday wear.
    I use 20 gauge (0.813 mm) for my pendants, but my ring shanks are 14 gauge (1.626 mm) thick or thicker.
    I suggest you buy an inexpensive digital caliper (eg. Harbor Freight) and measure some jewelry you have that you like.
    Some of my fellow makers in the studio use 22 gauge (0.643 mm) for very delicate little pendants.
    You can work harden or tumble to get a little more strength.

Mysweetstop and Malwen like this.