Search & Rescue Rigging Sheath

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1624044_deleted, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Hello,

*Please note this is a request for a sheath only. No modelling or reproduction of a knife is required.

I am a crew with Marine Search & Rescue. One of the requirements we are required to use is a personal knife. I have purchased a very nice knife for myself and my wife, but have unfortunately been unable to use it for almost two years because we don't have a proper sheath to carry it in.

[​IMG]
    I have designed a sheath in Illustrator (see attachment below) that I think will work. What I am looking for is a designer that can work with me to help create a version that I can 3D print. Eventually, if everything works out, I would like to purchase a sheath and a knife for my crew as a thank you for their many hours of dedication.

When I posted this before I had a lot of private messages from people informing me they could do this. I only ended up contacting a few because strangely almost nobody asked any questions about how this would work, offered suggestions how to improved the sheath, or provided a quote. I am looking for someone that understand what I am trying to do, why it is important to me, and is willing to work with me to make it the best it can be.

Please contact me if this is something you think you would like to try. Also, if you have a quote in mind for your time, please include it in the private message.

Thanks,

CLM IMG_4180.PNG

2. jordanbanks
    jordanbanks Well-Known Member
    I would love to help design this object; American based 3D artist here with a passion in 3D printing for over 8 years. Check out my projects at www.jdfantasy.com

3. Peter3D
    Peter3D Well-Known Member
  4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Can you supply dimensions for the sheath?

5. javelin98
    javelin98 Well-Known Member
    Honestly, having spent six years in the Army and then some SAR work with the Civil Air Patrol, I'd recommend you use Kydex. I don't think any 3D printed material will be as durable as Kydex, and I'd hate to see you lose your knife out in the bush because the sheath came apart. If you check Etsy, I believe there are some folks there who will do custom Kydex work.