Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Arkhan, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Arkhan
    Arkhan Member
    Hi there,

I'm Charles from France, I started to have some 3d printing project for my 1/18 WWII dioramas.

I've already finish some accessories at the modeling stage, but I still wonder if my model will be filled up or empty, if you see what I mean.

At the moment that I write this post my biggest project is to create a Sturmgeschütz IV with some functionnality. I will post a thread about it in the dedicated forum.

I'm happy to be now, a member of the shapeways community :D

2. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    Welcome from Canada. Let everyone know when you put up some creations. :)

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome Arkhan! So, if your model is closed, it'll be solid. So, think of it like this, a cube has 6 sides. In 3D space, you just have those 6 surfaces, and don't see anything inside. But, in 3D printing sense, that closed area is a solid. Now, if you put a smaller cube inside, and invert the faces, you'll have a hollow area inside your cube. But, our software will remove that internal geometry. Most of our materials, it would result in that area still being filled with build material. So, if you want that hollow cube inside, you'll need to connect it to the outside cube. We call this an escape hole, so that the material can be removed after printing. Hope that makes sense! Here's a tutorial with some visuals https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/creating-hollow-objects

shawn_halayka likes this.
  4. Arkhan
    Arkhan Member
    Thanks guys :)
    For the welcome and the intel :)

5. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Welcome @Arkhan, looking forward to seeing your products

6. Arkhan
    Arkhan Member

You could see the 3d model that I've already made in the world war two thread - miniature and scale model forum ;)
    Yeah i'm a WWII lover ^^