Adjustment?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by ryan3d, Oct 26, 2016.

1. ryan3d
    ryan3d Member
    I have an item that was printed successfully from shapeways.
    I needed it printed again, same height, same width, but at two different depths.
    The height is 0.765 in. The width is 1.983 in.

How can my model be changed from it’s current depth 1.575 in.?
    First depth needed 0.3 in. (same height, same width)
    Second depth needed 2.6 in. (same height, same width)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. pendarestan
    pendarestan Well-Known Member
    In MeshLab, use Filter menu -> Normals, Curvatures, and Orientation -> Transform: Scale. Uncheck Uniform Scaling. Set Y Axis to 0.1905 or 1.6508 (will give you 0.3 in or 2.6 in). Click Apply. Save using File -> Export Mesh As...

ryan3d likes this.
  3. ryan3d
    ryan3d Member
    pendarestan,
    I'd like to say thank you. I was able to rescale. I had three questions:
    1) When opening Meshlab, it has a check box, Unify Duplicate Verticals. Does this make a difference if checked or unchecked since this is a single solid unit?
    2) The two numbers you gave me 0.1905 & 1.6508, both uploaded as 0.3 in and 2.6 in. What measurements are these in case I need to change it in the future. I thought it would be cm, but when I type inches to cm in google it comes back as 0.3 in = 0.762 cm?
    3) How would I remove my 3D file from my post?
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    1) probably duplicate "vertices" (points) not "verticals" - should normally be checked
    2) simply "size you want" divided by "size you have" e.g. 0.3/1.575=0.1905
    3) you should see a small blue "Edit" option underneath your post

ryan3d and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ryan3d
    ryan3d Member
    I clicked on it, no options appeared for the attached file.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Must admit I probably never tried it. If all else fails "Report" your own message and write the request to remove the attachment into the dialog box that opens.

7. ryan3d
    ryan3d Member
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much. I also tried the formula you gave me for resizing and it worked.

8. pendarestan
    pendarestan Well-Known Member
    The tooltip for the "Unify Duplicated Vertices" checkbox says "The STL format is not an vertex-indexed format. Each triangle is composed by independent vertices, so, usually, duplicated vertices should be unified." Many mesh file formats contain a list of vertex XYZ coordinates and a list of faces, where each face is a list of integers that are vertex indices (three for triangles, four for quads). In STL files, each face lists its own vertices' XYZ coordinates. Continuous surfaces have several faces around each vertex, so it is more efficient to store three or four indices per face than nine or twelve coordinates. "Unify Duplicated Vertices" converts the STL representation to the more efficient one.

Use "Unify Duplicated Vertices" when you work with 3D printable meshes. MeshLab will interpret the faces as one continuous surface, so operations like smoothing will work (try smoothing without "Unify Duplicated Vertices" and see what happens :) ).