Linking stars

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by NWoolridge, Jun 9, 2011.

1. NWoolridge
    NWoolridge Member
    Hi all,

I just received my prints of a couple of linking stars models I made. They were modelled in PyTopMod, exported as a low res-mesh to Cinema4D, and then modified and smoothed . I made numerous variations, but these were the two I chose to print, in white, strong, and flexible.

I'm really pleased; they are strong and light (they bounce when dropped from a few inches onto a granite countertop), and with some modifications, could make excellent christmas tree ornaments, I think...

Nick

View attachment 9346 View attachment 9345 View attachment 9344 View attachment 9343

2. Those are gorgeous, Nick!!

3. NWoolridge
    NWoolridge Member
    Thanks, denali3ddesign!

These were the variants from which I chose; the low-res mesh is in the upper right:

linking_star_variants.jpg

4. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Those are gorgeous! :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Great stuff,

If you put the photos as the lead images on the product page I can put them on the front page.

I am always looking for great models with well photographed images in the right aspect ratio.

6. NWoolridge
    NWoolridge Member
    Hi drscott,

Done; and thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'm in awe of the Shapeways community and their creativity...

Nick

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Absolutely beautiful !
    Lots of potential with this kind of modeling.

Since topmod has been my latest 3D t(oy)ool , it took me few intense hours to learn how to do it -
    I just made one as a Silver Pendant ;)
    [​IMG]

Well done! on all the variations!

8. NWoolridge
    NWoolridge Member
    Beautiful pendant, dizingof! Lots of neat stuff in your shop...

9. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Thanks

A realy cool tip for all Shapers - you can open your own design with topmod (that you made with your own 3D software) and use it's amazing mesh manipulation options to do incredibly looking results much like you would with a high priced 3D software packages - not just play with primitives.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey NWoolridge, before I knew Duann was thinking about putting your linking stars on the homepage, I featured it in this past week's Friday Finds. Oops.

Enjoy the extra attention, its much-deserved. ;)

11. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Nice, could easily see these as gold/red/green/silver shiny Christmas ornaments Nwool. Great idea as a pendant and nicely done render Dizingof.

Pending safety and material issues I could see this as a fun pet toy for cats etc with somethings that clacks or jingles inside.