Fury Jr - Combat Robot

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 48615_deleted, Sep 13, 2010.

1. 48615_deleted
    48615_deleted Member
    My first combat robot chassis arrived. Fury Jr is a horizontal spinner for the 150g ant weight class. My first version of the robot just had everything cable tied and bolted to a carbon fibre sheet as a base plate. It worked well except during the final at the last competition when something flexed and the blade ripped off a wheel and cut through the battery lines. It doesn't seems like it but the ruler spins at 8000 - 10000rpm.
    [​IMG]

So I decided to have a better go at designing a chassis, which I drew up in Inventor. The idea was to keep every component in its separate compartment and to keep the weapon away from the internals. I ran out of weight to add guards to keep the weapon away from the wheels but maybe I'll fix that problem if this version gets destroyed. Its made with WSF and I'm trying to think of the best way to change its colour without adding weight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll post a video of its first fight after the competition in a few weeks.

2. That looks fantastic - I'm looking forward to seeing the video. Good luck with the fight!

As for the colour, would paint be too heavy, then? If you dilute acrylic paint down, it soaks nicely into the WSF, but of course most of the water will evaporate away as it dries.

Failing that, maybe you could leave it white but do some colour detailing with Sharpies or something?

Andy

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Nice !!

4. 48615_deleted
    48615_deleted Member
    I used the very watered down acrylic paint idea. Worked well with three coats on top and two under. Looks a bit more animal now. I also used a permanent marker on the raised text to make it stand out.
    The scales didn't go up a single gram. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. Yay for lightweight paints! :laughing:

That looks absolutely awesome now - it's a little bit bestial and a little bit military. And the way the ruler looks like it's covered with oil splatters, also a little bit brutal. ;)

Andy

6. boustalahit
    boustalahit Member
    Nice project !
    The shape pops out really better with the paint.
    I could suggest you to sand and cut a shape in the ruler too, it looks not really serious or agressive enought with such a blade. It's like a clasroom toy, like a blowgun made with a pen if you see what I mean. You should get some extra weight like that too.
    Good luck with your beast. :eek:

7. 48615_deleted
    48615_deleted Member
    Fury Jr won the competition. 5 fights undefeated.
    Search for Fury Jr vs Scorpy on youtube

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    Looks really nice! How does the material hold up in a fight?
    Been thinking of designing parts for my r/c cars, but not sure about how the material will hold up.. :)