Ouroboros Necklace

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Action_N, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Action_N
    Action_N Member
    A piece of jewelry commissioned for a friend of mine, this necklace was designed to be printed with all four components (head half, tail half, lower jaw, and mid-body hinge pin) inextricably interlocked - no assembly required apart from the insertion of a pair of small neodymium magnets into the jaws.

The inside diameter is 5", and the body is 1/2" high by 3/8" thick for most of its length. The necklace is almost completely hollow, with diamond-shaped holes in a scale pattern to allow excess material drainage. Wall thickness is a uniform 1/16".

All of the clearances in this design are 1/32, and in retrospect I could probably have reduced most, if not all of them to 1/64". The mid-body and jaw hinges are a little looser than I would like, but still quite workable.

One minor complaint here: the head wasn't really cleaned out, so when I removed the model from the packaging it appeared that the head was one solid mass. However, closer inspection revealed that it was just clogged with excess material, which was easily removed with a few cotton swabs.

Closed

Ouroboros Necklace 016 - 800x598.jpg

Clasp top detail

Ouroboros Necklace 019 - 800x598.jpg

Clasp bottom detail

Ouroboros Necklace 026 - 800x598.jpg

Mid-body hinge detail

Ouroboros Necklace 021 - 800x598.jpg

Open

Ouroboros Necklace 028 - 800x598.jpg

Regards,
    Action N

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Stunning!

3. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    this is really cool! love the clasp design

4. Absolutely beautiful, and the mechanism is ingenious! Brilliant work! :D

Andy

5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Very Nice,

I can imagine how amazing this would look in gold....

6. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    So nice. You turned a classic snake subject into a beautiful original design.

-Whystler

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Wow! Beautiful, I love it.

8. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    That's sleek, visionary and gorgeous. Kudos. Anyone wearing that will get a second and third look.

9. chaitanyak
    chaitanyak Member
    lovely design! unique clasp