Cubic Trisection by OSKAR

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Shapeways fans,

Cubic Trisection was first shown to George Miller by Robert Reid as part of his box of all the ways a cube could be trisected by three equal parts. They were all paper models that were rectilinear with the exception of this beautiful little curved trisection. George was intrigued by it and finally made one when he got a 3D printer. George asked Oskar van Deventer to design it. He printed it in green, red and yellow as per Oskar's love of children's colors. It came out great. George have since purchased a new 3d printer which does not yet have the color green. At the request of one of George's English customers, he had changed the colors to red, white, and blue. The new colors are brilliant. Most people have a difficult time putting it together. They usually try and force the pieces to "snap" together, whereas they easily glide together when twisted along the main diagonal. George later learned that the magnificent Dutch artist, Rinus Roelof, had also come up with a similar trisection all in silver.

Watch the YouTube video.
    Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
    Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
    Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
    Cubic-Trisection-v3---view-1.jpg
    Cubic-Trisection-v3---view-2.jpg
    Cubic-Trisection-v3---view-3.jpg

2. 7386_deleted
    7386_deleted Member
    That's great !

I would like one ...

3. 7386_deleted
    7386_deleted Member
    Hum... they're expensive :(

Could you make them hollow to lower the price ?

With a hole on the curved surface, it will be hidden when assembled.

4. Oskar_van_Deventer
    This puzzle is already as hollow as can be. Try and order a solid 60x60x60 mm cube from Shapeways and notice the major difference. However, I cannot make the surfaces too thin as the puzzle then would feel squoosy.

Oskar

5. 7386_deleted
    7386_deleted Member
    Thank you for the information.
    Maybe this can be done anyway, and let the owner fills in the parts with some cheap material that will harden in place.

Just warn the buyer there's some extra work to do and suggest a filler material. I'm thinking of spackling, plaster or fuse glue.

6. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Please contact me privately, if you want me to create a special version of this puzzle for you.

Thank you.

Oskar