Elven Archer

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by TurtlesAreCool, Apr 5, 2011.

1. The second attempt of this model printed quite well - I had to fix a few issues on the small versions I tested first. I'm still trying to get used to the direction-dependent nature of the printing. I've learned that I need to be careful skimming the minimum detail, as it will work quite well in certain directions and not at all in other directions.

Anyway, I have put a black wash on the models, but no other paint yet. This time, most of the photos are located on a photo gallery a friend set up - take a look! http://squiggs.toxikoala.com/thumbnails.php?album=3

The two photos below are of the larger version, which is nearly 2x as large as the small version.

View attachment 7976
    View attachment 7977

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wow, I love how they look like stone or concrete in the photos. Does it look like that in person?

3. Yes, it does. The black wash is what does it - a small amount of black paint mixed with a fair amount of water. I've learned that the wash makes a good undercoat (although the best undercoat might be all black - haven't tried that yet, as it is easier to paint a wash). The gray color hides mistakes much better than pure white, particularly when there are portions of the model that I cannot reach well.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I would want that on a pillar at the end of my drive way, kind of like those lions that some people have. Awesome work.

5. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Really impressive. Congrats! :)

6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Does that mean you somehow learned to control the direction of printing? If so, pray tell.

Nice model, by the way. You mentioned the black wash - is this acrylic paint? And I assume it was printed in WSF?

Glenn

7. Lensman,

Sorry to give the wrong impression. I have not figured out a way to control the orientation. So far, though, everything I have printed with an obvious base has (as far as I can tell) has been printed in the upright orientation. It is possible that the software orients pieces with a large flat surface downward? (I assume that a software package is used to orient models before printing)

Thanks. I did print it in WSF, and I am using acrylic paint. The "stone" effect was more or less accidental. I've learned that I prefer not to put an undercoat of sealer on the model before painting. It means I have to be more careful (because the paint soaks into the surface), but it preserves the texture of the material.

8. The painting is finished on the large model! In some ways, I am quite pleased with the result. In others, not so much. I did a few experimental things this time, like painting designs using metallic paint and highlighting slightly to imply lighting. The former worked better than the latter, with which I evidently need some practice.

The colors are a bit more desaturated than I initially intended, but I don't suppose someone who would be stalking around in a forest would wear particularly saturated colors anyway, so the coloring is probably acceptable.

100_1317.JPG
    100_1318.JPG
    100_1319.JPG
    100_1320.JPG

9. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Very nicely done, I am liking the brown painted model, looks like it belongs in the forests in Lord of The Rings. Little foliage and vines on the base and bam!