Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » New Business - Feasibility Study
Search Search  
New Business - Feasibility Study [message #44911] Mon, 05 March 2012 16:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Sulaco  is currently offline Sulaco
Go to all my models
Hi, my name is David (UK) and this is my first posts here. Hi all.

I currently have my own printing business (general paper printing, not 3D) and I am looking to mix my hobby and my business by perhaps doing some 3D design and model making/printing and hopefully creating an online shop, and if it takes off, I hope to buy my own machine or use Shapeways extensively.

I want to design custom vehicles and figures in a range of scales. Think Matchbox/Corgi cars. I aim to design them using 3DS MAX, and then through Shapeways, to create a few prototypes to see if I can produce them at the right quality in order to sell them, but as I am new to 3D printing and this is at the idea stage, I wanted to run the idea by the experts here, if I may?

Assuming I have the 3D designs for what I require, say 50 designs, of various sizes from cars, trucks, people (Matchbox/Corgi toy car size) roughly how much would it cost me to output here, say for the following:

Car - around 50mm x 40mm x 10mm
Trucks - around 80x50x20

I want to look at prices for colour (as if they were painted at a reasonble quality) and also the prices for single colour, but I wanted the material to be of a good enough and heavy, fairly tough type, as its to compete with metal/resin figures, so a plastic type, like ABS would not suffice.

So, my main question is, roughly, and very roughly is fine at this stage, what would it cost ME to produce those 2 above types of model via Shapeways, in single colour and full colour, in a suitable material, and also if I had the machine myself (and which one would be most suitable for me)?

I hope to be able to sell the figures and make a suitable mark-up which would enable me to make a business out of my hobby. If it takes off, I will invest in my own machine(s), and as I have about £20,000 to £30,000 to invest in the equipment that would hopefully allow me to make a living from doing something I love.

Sorry for the long question, but any helpful replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

[Updated on: Mon, 05 March 2012 16:41 UTC]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Alternative High Resolution Faux Metal Process - Maybe shapeways would package this?
Next Topic:materials for Microphone clips
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.