Home » Support » 3D Applications » 3DS Max and unit conversion
Search Search  
icon4.gif  3DS Max and unit conversion [message #3694] Wed, 01 April 2009 06:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

I was very excited by the new material made available, so I decided to print icecubes.
I wanted to take advantage of this opportunuty to test unit conversion since I had some problems with my previous model.
So I designed a 1cm3 cube in 3DS Max. As my default unit is mm, I made it 10mmx10mmx10mm.
I exported it as STL file. While uploading it to Shapeways, I specified mm as the unit. And I got an error message :
Quote:

Your object is too small!
[The size is 0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 cm / 0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 inch (h x w x d).

I went back to 3DS Max, changed the default unit to meter, without modfying my model. The cube was now 0.01mx0.01mx0.01m (and still 1cm3). I exported it as STL file again. While uploading I specifyed meter as a unit.
New error message :
Quote:

Your object is too big!
The size is 39.4 x 39.4 x 39.4 cm / 15.5 x 15.5 x 15.5 inch (h x w x d).

Note that 39.4 inches are 1 meter.
Finally I did a last conversion in 3DS MAx to change the default unit to inch. My 1cm3 was now 0.394"x0.394"x0.394". I save it as STL file. Of course while uploading I specifyed inch as a unit.
This time all was correct.

I did not make any test of "cross-unit" (saying in 3DS Mas that I work in mm and then pretending at the upload that the unit is inch). But, with this experiment, has anyone an idea on how 3DS Max and/or the upload function of Shapeways are dealing with the unit conversion ?

Thanks,

Magic.
PS: I finally give up with the idea of printing icecubes as they seem not to be safe to add in your beverage. Laughing

So many things to design, so little time...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:3D Max - inverted normals
Next Topic:3D Max - inverted normals (bis)
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.