Home » Community » Work in progress » Complex shape questions from Noob
Search Search  
Complex shape questions from Noob [message #37053] Thu, 20 October 2011 18:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar kmceject  is currently offline kmceject
Go to all my models
Hello, first post here. I have been playing with Blender for the past few weeks (and NetFab to 'fix' my problems.) I am working on my first design, and it is kind of complex. I'm like that, never do the easy stuff first, as I want to learn certain issues and do something worth doing.

My shape is an ejection seat, and I am trying to do it as a single piece less the parachute pack and survival kit, to be added as separate pieces later. The main issue I am having is Blender 2.59 does not seem to be able to join mesh sections. See the pic I am posting here. The second issue is that I don't see covered in the tutorials I have glanced at is how far the material can be stretched unsupported across empty space. For example the base of the seat is like a shelf. I plan on adding gussets (triangles) to support the material from below and to be built up from there, but how far apart should they be?

With the joining meshes I have been selecting vertexes and merging them. then making faces. Ctrl-J does not seem to function at all. I even went thru the keyboard shortcut menu and could not find Join as an option. Am I missing anything???

If I don't join meshes, but overlap them will they print o.k.?

As to the unsupported area issue I think the tutorials could do with a more easily found description of how much you can span.

BTW my seat is 1/12 scale and is about 96mm high. There are several sections I have not joined yet, for example the seat bucket sides. There are indeed holes in the area below the headrest that belong there, as well as the grip areas in the handles. I have been thickening my meshes with a script I glommed from a tutorial on statistical maps and it has been quite a mess. I think I have to do that, then add certain shapes into certain places and join them to make it work...

Kevin
index.php?t=getfile&id=11487&private=0

• Attachment: sr1seat3d.png
    (Size: 22.46KB, Downloaded 468 time(s))

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Vikings
Next Topic:PVC-u Nozzles For Sale (Plumbing)
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.