Home » Support » 3D Printing » "Parts is parts or intertwined parts" - Sandstone Model Question + Wall Thickness Question
Search Search  
"Parts is parts or intertwined parts" - Sandstone Model Question + Wall Thickness Question [message #21275] Sat, 04 December 2010 16:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar senshi  is currently offline senshi
Go to all my models
Hello everyone,

I'd like to print some 3D Elf figures for this year's Christmas, but something in the Sandstone information page has me confused:
-----------
"Parts in parts or intertwined parts are not possible in general. They require extensive manual labor and have high risk of failing our quality requirements."
-----------
Does this mean my object can't consist of multiple meshes intersecting each other or does it mean something else?

I'd also like to ask a question regarding the minimum wall thickness. Is there an easy way to hollow out a model in my modeling program (Blender)? For my last model I simply put in some spheres with inverted normals due to time constraints, but this still left me with a lot of printed material that would not have been needed. It would be nice if I could hollow it out to exactly 0.4mm. (I've been thinking of using the Solidify modifier for this, but I'm worried that'll mess up some intersecting edges.)
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:printing joined moving metal parts
Next Topic:Detail Materials
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.