Home » Support » 3D Design » gear question
Search Search  
gear question [message #12704] Tue, 11 May 2010 13:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar LatexSpikes  is currently offline LatexSpikes
Go to my shop
Ok, new guy here. I've been playing with ray tracing programs for years, but I'm new to CAD. I know it's not a major step up, but it's big enough that I'm stumbling. I'm familiar with POV-Ray (www.povray.org) and recently downloaded a demo version of Rhino, so I'm limited to 25 saves and no copying. So far I'm up to one model. I like POV, but it's designed to give image outputs, not meshes.
Anyway, my question is this: how much gap should there be between objects (like teeth on meshing gears) for a model to print properly? I'm trying to make something along the lines of this:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3738/eightgears.gif

Fisnished it should be about 1 inch in height. The image only shows the gears themselves; the shafts and end caps aren't shown. Any help or suggestions with the gear question, Rhino, or a better CAD program would be appreciated.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Do you like using a pen/tablet with 3D apps, particularly Blender?
Next Topic:Stainless Steel problem on part I recieved
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.