Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scoubidou [message #16526] Sun, 22 August 2010 15:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi all,

I received my scoubidou.
The structure is basically the same as an actual scoubidou except the cleareance between the 2 mm wires that is 1 mm in all directions. So it is quite loose, which make it very flexible.
See the pictures below and the video here.
index.php?t=getfile&id=4640&private=0

It is quite unexpensive of an object of this dimension (less than $25).

Do you think I should do other dimensions or shapes?
Thanks,

Magic

[Updated on: Sun, 22 August 2010 15:41 UTC]

Re: Scoubidou [message #16534 is a reply to message #16526 ] Sun, 22 August 2010 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Cool!

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Scoubidou [message #16539 is a reply to message #16534 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 01:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Nice...

What is it used for?

Todd
www.4m3D.com
Re: Scoubidou [message #16547 is a reply to message #16539 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 06:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Ahaha! Laughing I am also wondering (but not all objects need to be useful, do they?).

As I say in the video, just use it as a regular scoubidou! Original scoubidous were used as keyring (this one is probably too big) or to recognize your luggages.
See this website for inspiration (see "scoubidou projects").

For me it is also a way to test the elasticity of Strong and Flexible: the same pattern can be used to make a kind of fabric, if you interlocked the basic pattern so that the section is nearly flat (instead of squared).

[Updated on: Mon, 23 August 2010 06:46 UTC]

Re: Scoubidou [message #16549 is a reply to message #16547 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lukas.suess  is currently offline lukas.suess
Go to my shop
For use as bracelet/necklace It would be great if it could be connected
end do beginning, in such a way that there's no kink at the connection.

Another idea for a "useful" application:
Add a LED-light to the top ** and a handle to the bottom
Then you can draw lines of light into the nigth.
** maybe two lights on a lateral bar instead to make use of the torsion elasticity too. In any case add an approriate mass.
Re: Scoubidou [message #16552 is a reply to message #16549 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 11:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Right!!! I got it now.

In that case I really like it!!! I'm thinking a shorter one with a place to inset a luggage tag.

VERY HANDY!!!!

Todd
www.4m3D.com
Re: Scoubidou [message #16580 is a reply to message #16552 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will think now about the next steps.
In the meantime, I wanted to show you my collection of Scoubidous:
index.php?t=getfile&id=4652&private=0
Click to enlarge.

And also this ball-shaped one, that inspired me for my IcosidodecaLink:
index.php?t=getfile&id=4654&private=0
Note that each loop is closed by a nearly seamless join (see the close-up) as suggested by Lukas.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 August 2010 18:53 UTC]

Re: Scoubidou [message #16583 is a reply to message #16580 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 20:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Us Americans get confused, because to us "Scoubidou" is a popular TV show. My kids are always making them, though, and they call them "Lanyards".

Very nice idea, whatever you call them!
Re: Scoubidou [message #16587 is a reply to message #16583 ] Mon, 23 August 2010 21:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
We call them GIMPs here.

Interestingly, ScoobyDoo, the dog, was named after the craft of scoubidou.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Scoubidou [message #16594 is a reply to message #16587 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 01:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hmm, Whystler,
I prefer the Wikipedia Soul Music inspiration take on the naming of Scooby Doo...

"Silverman was inspired by a combination of the "scoo-be-doo" section in Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People" and Frank Sinatra's scat "doo-be-doo-be-doo" he heard at the end of Bert Kaempfert's song "Strangers in the Night" on the way out to one of their meetings, and decided to rename the dog "Scooby-Doo"

But let's never let the truth get in the way of a good story..

Duann Scott

Re: Scoubidou [message #16610 is a reply to message #16526 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I thought Lanyard was specifically a key chain piece. In the scouts we called it Gimp. And his name is scoodydoo because that is all he can say other than Wuh Woh Waggy and Heeehehehehehe

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Scoubidou [message #16618 is a reply to message #16594 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
drscott wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 01:39

Hmm, Whystler,
I prefer the Wikipedia Soul Music inspiration take on the naming of Scooby Doo...

But let's never let the truth get in the way of a good story..

Lol, well your source is the same as mine, just a different page:

"The name scoubidou came from the late French singer Sacha Distel, who scored his first hit with the song of the same name in 1958 and became the Francized name for the long-running cartoon series Scooby-Doo."

But I'm Canadian, so I speak french too Wink

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Scoubidou [message #16652 is a reply to message #16526 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow, Love the video, I never expected that much flexibility!

Very nice fidget gadget Smile

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:My ballpoint pen type2
Next Topic:Robot Trooper

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.