Home » Support » Buying » Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58725] Mon, 17 December 2012 09:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
I wanted to prolongue my credits by buying gift cards with them but it looks like this is not possible. Please tell me this is a mistake...
Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58740 is a reply to message #58725 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 14:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Any issues with your credits, it's best to contact service.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58741 is a reply to message #58725 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar maartje  is currently offline maartje
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Wahtah,

Indeed,- you can not use store credits on gift cards, if you e-mail us @: service@ shapeways .com we can cancel your store credit and request a refund for you.

Hope to hear from you.
Cheers Maartje
Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58742 is a reply to message #58741 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, I will do that. I'm glad you are this flexible with the credits. But that should be evident without having to ask about it.
Right now it seems out of tune with ShapeWays' reputation as a nice company:
- when you buy a gift card, there is no warning that they are only valid for a year (right?)
- you are actively preventing users from buying new gift cards with credits. I really can't think of a positive sounding reason for this.
- I also think there is a legal problem shapeways should look into: both Dutch and US federal rules seem to state that gift cards should be valid for at least 5 years (the Dutch rules say you can have a shorter period as long as it's known up front).
Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58743 is a reply to message #58742 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Wahtah,

You can change the giftcard code into a store credit, than it is valid for ever! We switched over to store credits since August 2012, see your profile: My Credits section.

About the payment method, I need to look into the reason for this, but I think it has to do with not having the possibility to refund Gift cards.

Hope this was helpful.

Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58744 is a reply to message #58743 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Okay great! That sounds a lot better and I already did that a long time ago, so the only problem is, you are keeping it a secret! My credit page says:

Credit Type Credit Code Original Value Remaining Value Expiration Date
Gift Card Xxxxx $100.00 $41.33 2012-12-31

And no mention of credit being valid forever, so you can see why I was worried about that expiration date...

Thanks for clearing that up!
Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58746 is a reply to message #58744 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop

[Updated on: Mon, 17 December 2012 16:21 UTC]

Re: Is it "by design" that I can't use my credits to buy Gift cards? [message #58747 is a reply to message #58746 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 16:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
Just sent you a E-mail.
It is different in your case, - you have old coupons in your my credits, they will expire after the date.
We use store credit since August 2012, those credits will not expire anymore.
I advise you to E-mail us after the expiring date as mailed, - than we will add the same amount as new store credit to your account, this will not expire.
We need to wait till the expiring date is passed because I can not invalidate old coupons anymore.

Hope this was helpful and I hope to hear from you in 2013!!!

Previous Topic:Are earring hooks still available for earring models?
Next Topic:What if I'm not happy with the resolution of a model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.