Serious Problems With “tan” Detail Plastic.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AgeOfPlastic, Jan 26, 2024.

1. AgeOfPlastic
    AgeOfPlastic Member
    I'm not one to post public complaints, but this is such a serious issue I feel compelled to try and open a little discussion about this problem.

Last year Shapeways have moved away from "frosted" fine plastic prints made on ProJet gear. They now use VisiJet M2R plastics.

The two plastics are VisiJet M2R-TN1 "tan" and VisiJet M2R-CL1 "clear". For a brief period they offered VisiJet M2R-GRY1 "grey", before switching to tan.

1) VisiJet M2R "tan" plastic is more brittle. I've had test prints with internal fractures and broken edges.

2) The print guidelines have silently changed. Many of us with Shapeways "fine plastic" products have suddenly got designs that are being rejected as unprintable. Reworking all my products is a massively time-consuming problem.

See those areas in red? Those all have to be redone on this design. A design which passed fine the other month.
    Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 13.29.30.png
    I understand that grey had issues with higher temperatures, but switching to tan is not a solution.

3) VisiJet M2R-TN1 "tan" is a dirty muted yellow, not tan. What they means is that it's got an objectionable colour cast. If you're painting it white or a light colour, the yellow tone seeps through. You then have to put layers of thicker paint to increase the opacity, thus reducing details.

This wasn't a problem with either translucent or grey plastics.

---

These are serious problems. Problem 2 is a real show-stopper for designers, though. I see sales drop each time Shapeways' prices increase, it's not really cost-effective for me to rebuild and fix all my designs.

I realize that Shapeways is more interested in targeting large companies than small private designers, but this is a disappointing change.

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    The Projet 3600 printers had reached the end of their life cycle, and 3D Systems ceased their manufacturing. Consequently, spare parts, frequently required for these printers operating 24/7, became unavailable. Running these printers was no longer viable due to escalating maintenance costs and diminishing quality, which necessitated extracting parts from existing Projet 3600 printers (by purchasing used machines for their parts).

To address this, we opted to replace our machines with the Projet 2500, which does not support the Visijet M3 Crystal. Unfortunately, as you've observed, the materials available for this machine are not superior to the old material.

The gray offering posed numerous issues, significantly raising the reprint rate and refunds.
    The melting point of the gray material was almost the same as the wax support material we use, so we had issues removing the wax on the model, causing wax to be left on the model (resulting in a sticky substance on the model).
    If we then raised the heat to remove the wax properly, the gray material deformed.

The changes in design guidelines stem from our experience with tan and ultra-clear materials. The increased brittleness of the material and the ultra-clear's susceptibility to warping prompted us to implement these changes to mitigate the quality issues reported by customers.

While we would have preferred to retain Smooth and Smoothest options, we found ourselves with limited choices. Although the gray material might have performed better than tan for some models, considering the prevalent quality issues, more customers encountered problems with gray than with tan (while acknowledging that tan has its brittle downside).

If you have solutions, we're more than happy to listen, we want to make this material a success too but have to accept that it has some flaws.

3. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    Please, move your mouse arrow to the word Materials at the top of this page and tell me which item(s) you are talking about. Have you removed the old product from the list? What was it before (assuming it has been de-listed or what one should be delisted now that the "Visijet M3 Crystal" (whatever that is/was/whatever) is no longer used)?
    I positively and completely cannot follow what was/is/gonna-be/never-was/whatever. I do wish you could pick "A NAME" for a material and "A NAME" for a process, and stick to that ONE and ONLY name throughout all references to a product.

4. Echoco
    Echoco Well-Known Member
    I understand the changes in design guideline, and if it result in increased printability or reduce reprints and refunds maybe its justified to lower the price for the material?

5. AgeOfPlastic
    AgeOfPlastic Member
    Hi, Mitchell

Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. You’ve always been a very helpful and supportive presence.

I appreciate the difficulty of having supplier changes occur, and the complications involved. And I know it’s tough being a staff member dealing with customer complaints in a public forum, which is why I haven’t posted publicly until now.​

My story:

Here’s where I’m at.

I’ve spent years developing a complex set of miniature products that can only be printed using “fine detail” plastic. It took considerable time to ensure the parts were as accurate as possible while remaining printable using Shapeways’ guidelines.

This iterative process of rebuilding and checking is very difficult, owing to the onerous and time-consuming nature of using “3D Tools” to check whether an upload will pass Shapeways’ automatic checks. I’m told that these checks are not very accurate. But we are we suppose to do? It’s the only tool most of us have available to ensure that something is printable using Shapeways’ rules.

Anyway. After a lot of work I had models marked green.

Then I learn, after asking why designs have been rejected, that the rules have silently changed. Parts that I had carefully crafted are suddenly showing up blotched with red. One of the designs was available for around 6 years. Another one took 3 months to design, and I uploaded it successfully in December.

I ask Support what happened and I was told that the print guidelines had changed, and to look at the new guidelines.​

The problems with the changes:

I have no doubt that changing the guidelines may have seemed essential given the lower quality of the new resins. However:
    • I don’t recall any notification of this drastic change at the time. There isn’t even a blog entry.
    • There was no advance warning to users prior to the change.
    • Saying “look at the guidelines” without saying WHAT CHANGED is beyond unhelpful. I hadn’t committed the previous guidelines to memory. How are we supposed to know what changed and what to look for?
    • It seems the minimum wall thickness may well have doubled in value. That’s significant. What else?
    • Shapeways’ tools for checking printability, as noted, are extremely cumbersome and sluggish to use. It can easily take 10 minutes, and multiple clicks along the way, to see if something might pass or not.
    • And then we have the added problem of parts suddenly being rejected subsequently, often months or even years later, despite passing the automatic checks.
    It may seem a trivial change to Shapeways at a corporate level. Just change 0.3mm to 0.6mm, click OK, and walk away. Big deal, right? It’s like the change from grey to tan plastic, which was just a simple matter of changing bottles on the production line. Even though the tan is rated as more brittle than the grey.

But those simple changes have massive consequences in lost time - and thus lost money - to your customers.​

So what now?

Well, I’ve spent three hours revising and attempting to test just one of my models that was rejected this week. And at the end of it I suspect it’ll still be rejected again. Multiply those hours by almost every model I have available on the store. This is not a trivial change.

I have to consider if it’s really worth maintaining the storefront. Considering the monthly sales are now utterly minimal, as Shapeways prices continue to increase. I’m no longer breaking even on my time, but maintaining the store is now costing me money in terms of huge numbers of lost hours. I’ve spoken to other hobbyists who report exactly the same thing - some are idling their stores as a result.

I get it. You’ve had a supplier change, and small hobbyist stores are no longer of interest to the company. It’s a take it or leave it situation for us. But it’s pretty disappointing, to say the least.

Every month I get an email saying “Thanks for making the Shapeways marketplace amazing. We love you!” with a dwindling dollar value next to it. I’m afraid that I can’t say I’m feeling the love at the moment.​

Grey plastic:

As an aside, that’s surprising about the grey issues. In my test prints the grey prints were definitely better than the old translucent/smooth/smoothest prints. They still had visible lines every half millimetre or so, and had a slight texture in places, but didn't have the greasy rough-textured wax residue that smooth/smoothest suffered from.

By contrast my tan test prints, as well as being very brittle, subject to internal fracturing, and really problematic in terms of colour cast, had more wax residues on them than grey.

If grey is a problem with warping, it could be restricted to smaller objects only, where warpage is less likely to occur.​

6. AgeOfPlastic
    AgeOfPlastic Member
    What could Shapeways do?

You ask for specific solutions, which is fair.

Well, it’s too late to do much about the material change, I suppose. That’s the result of 3DSystems producing resins with inferior characteristics compared to their previous product. And that sucks. This high-falutin’ new technology is supposed to get better, not worse.

But Shapeways could make the process slightly less painful for their customers. Things basically come down to two issues: poor communication, and poor support tools.​
    • Notify all stores immediately, by email, of this change.
    • Update the revised design specifications, indicating WHICH specifications have changed.
    • Publish a page detailing the reason for the changes.
    • Generate a spreadsheet for each active store that uses “fine detail” plastic.
    • Include in this spreadsheet a list of all models likely to fail the altered design guidelines. Include the number of sales for those models, the most recent sale date, and the most recent design upload date.
    • Update the preflight “3D Tools” page to optionally generate wall thickness views using the previous design specifications. Then users can flip instantly between the previous and current design views, so they can tell at a glance the areas that have changed and which need alterations.
    • Fix the 3D Tools so that it more accurately predicts whether a model will pass manual checks or not.
    • Fix the 3D Tools so that they’re rapid to load, and don’t require a half dozen clicks and waits to view essential data, such as wall thickness.
    • Fix the 3D Tools so that the loose shells function reliably shows the designer where the problem areas lie. Right now you click on the numbers and nothing really happens.
    • Rework “fix problem areas” to be usable. I find it doesn’t highlight the fixed areas in blue as it’s supposed to, nor can it display only the fixes. It also downloads the fixed areas as .x3d files, which isn’t very useful. You can’t view such files in common tools like Meshmixer or macOS Preview, so you have to spend time converting to STL first.
    I write from the point of view of a vanishingly small Shapeways store, but I’m sure all these suggestions would be equally welcomed by large-scale corporate customers as well.

Thank you, and sorry for the length of my followup posts.​

7. AgeOfPlastic
    AgeOfPlastic Member
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here, but I'm guessing it's the situation of the naming of the different types of "fine detail plastic" aka "material jetting" materials?

My understanding is:

- Initially Shapeways used a translucent resin that they marketed under the name "Frosted Detail Plastic". This was used in dual-jet printers that also produced removable wax supports. The wax supports were printed on the bottom of each print.
    - They offered the prints at two resolution levels, which they named "Extreme Detail" and "Ultra Detail".
    - They then changed the name of the products to "Smooth" and "Smoothest". A bit confusing, since the only difference was the print resolution (29 versus 16 microns or something like that) - I don't believe the resin itself changed.
    - Next, because the old printers were being retired, they introduced a new product line using different resin types. They no longer offered the highest resolution option, but went for a different default resolution. The new process encases the whole print in wax, but results in less wax texture.
    - The new resin types were "grey" and "clear" fine detail.
    - After a brief period the "grey" resin was silently switched out for "tan" resin.
    - From a technical point of view, VisiJet M2R-TN1 is "tan" and VisiJet M2R-CL1 is "clear". VisiJet M2R-GRY1 was "grey".

I hope that's basically accurate. I don't know what year each change occurred, though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  8. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    Hi all, sorry I just found this thread. In fact I started another thread about this. My thread was more tongue and cheek, however the same topic. https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/not-all-material-are-created-equal.102599/

The issue here are in todays age of many many resins and manufacturers. We are discussing a material and printer set which is really for the model making hobby. If shapeways has other clientele and verticals using the fine detail plastics great, but you have a large part of the marketplace catering to scale models. Personally I work in tabletop gamming section or 28mm or close to 1:48 or O scale adjacent.

Now I discovered this issue second week of January as I make variations of products. For example shoulder pads with customized symbols embossed on them. Well that week I saw one of my designs failed the 3d tools check for tan. I reached out to support and after some back and forth was also told the specs changed.

I asked could we get a report of what items were now unprintable and was told sorry we dont have that info and we just need to wait till someone orders the piece and it gets flagged.

My response was in those cases we are limited to only add 10% material to the fix. The response was the equivalent of a shrug.

Personally I have over a thousand items. Manually going through them and having to rebuild them as I see green will be time consuming.

Also we are told the specs changed .... well when I looked at the specs last week in the 3d tools, it looked the same sprues should be 1mm thickness of parts needs to greater then .7mm etc......but wait I just uploaded a model to test while writing this and low and behold I switch to Tan Fine Detail Plastic and no specs show anymore. So that means we now need to goto the materials page to see the results.... but really the specs are pretty darn close

Supported Wall Thickness Min
    0.6 mm
    Unsupported Wall Thickness Min
    0.8 mm
    Supported Wires Min
    0.8 mm diameter (or thinnest dimension if not circular).
    1.0 mm diameter (or thinnest dimension if not circular) for sprues, or wires bearing weight.
    Unsupported Wires Min
    1.0 mm diameter (or thinnest dimension if not circular)
    Details Min Embossed
    0.1 mm high & wide
    Details Min Engraved
    0.1 mm high & wide
    Single Escape Hole Diameter (Min)
    One escape hole is not adequate for this material
    Multiple Escape Hole Diameter (Min)
    4.0 mm diameter

Now as the other commenter said we are now getting help us fix your model emails
    The last one I got was for a jet backpack with angel wings and dragon head jets on the side

Noew the are of concern was the horns on the dragons head
    [​IMG]
    now I just had one printed recently. I hadn't yet heard the story of oh tan is brittle so we changed the specs. Personally this was a tech doing the layout and wanted to avoid a failure.

We recently designer got the option to print anyways so I said this is a know print lets print anyways

Well the order went through. No comments of a bad print, and it was shipped to the customer.

So I reached out to the customer and they sent the following

[​IMG]

and here is the overall print

[​IMG]
    Now I have gotten smaller prints since we switched to tan and the prints were good. However the quality of this print's layer lineds are horrible

Here is the view in 3d tools its for clear, because even though the print went through and the customer got it Shapeways response was to pull the model stating I cant turn it back on until I change the model.
    upload_2024-1-31_0-47-19.png

Now I follow different hobbyists who cover 3d printing and the quality of resins in the market are amazing to the point there is a discssion of do resin printers from elegoo, anycubic and so on can product prints that are better that traditional casting and now the topic is the quality better than computer created injection molding.

This Tan print ....... I dont know. The quality should be way better... the problem is other solutions out there do not have consistency as I place and order I know it will be created in europe, shipped to the US and sent to a customer. Xometry, 3dcraft cloud and the like are networks of small shops this month my order comes from arizona, next month Mexico. The pricing and the timing is not consistant....but thats a different discussion. This we are model designers need a affordable hi detail high quality. Again Im 28mm, I feel for the n scale designers you catalog must be hurting with this change.

So to @MitchellJetten what is the plan to improve this? You are already higher than the other print services. You are behind on the quality of the prints. You are having problems with global shipping costs, and honestly should look at doing domestic printing for where your prints are going to.

So whats the plan???? Can we have a dialog with those making the descisions?

Thanks

9. srnjm420
    srnjm420 Well-Known Member
    I offer many scale model kits of detailed fire apparatus. I brought the brittleness of the tan to their attention shortly after it was rolled out. Cutting parts from the parts tree and then having them brake, I have had many upset customers. But the reply I received was that it is no better or worse than the gray or the FUD. It must be the way I or my clients are cutting. Glad to see here that it is not just me. And i also agree with above that it does not paint well and the print lines are very visible. For the shapeways is charging for prints in this material, they should be much nice quality of a product.

10. bwterrainforge
  11. bwterrainforge
    @MitchellJetten I just received a email from customer about tan plastic. They are saying they have ordered tabletop mini parts recently and the parts are breaking and paint does not adhere well, even if cleaned. They are asking is there other material they can order.

We desperately need a new material inline with what home users have access to.

Please reply or have a person in a position to reply post what next steps are.

12. MitchellJetten
    Thank you for all the feedback, I have shared this internally as well.
    We really appreciate your thoughts and are taking them seriously!

I agree that our communication around the design guideline changes was bad, we should have done better and should have known that not communicating this wasn't going to be in any favor.
    For this I do apologize on behalf of myself and the rest of the team!

We truly have a passion for miniatures, and our commitment to the Projet 2500 printers serves as a clear demonstration of this since this and previous Smooth(est) material were mainly used for miniatures.
    There is ofcourse a slight "take it or leave it" situation here, there are a handful of materials that we can use for this material, we have tested all (except the 2 high temperature materials) and our tests have shown that both the Tan and the Clear material provide the best results.
    If we could switch to a material with the same properties as Smooth and Smoothest, we would have done so already!

Some known issues include the non-functioning loose shell feature in the 3D tools, and I have requested the development team to prioritize fixing.

Although I understand your desire for a spreadsheet listing potentially problematic models, unfortunately, our current 3D and visualization tools lack the ability to distinguish between details, walls, wires etc.
    Consequently, a cm wire at 0.7mm thickness might appear green and acceptable, even though it should be flagged as red/failure being an unsupported wire requiring 1mm as a minimum. The system's inability to differentiate between various elements may result in a spreadsheet that looks different from manual inspections.

The distinction between supported and unsupported wires is also not recognized by the system, making it challenging to report accurately.
    So most models may appear fine on the 3D tools or such spreadsheet, manual checks could reveal issues.
    Presently, the 3D tools demand substantial resources, and complex geometry can strain their processing capabilities. We acknowledge this challenge and are exploring improvements, although implementation may not be straightforward.
    Similarly, enhancing tools to predict model success involves trade-offs, as increased accuracy may lead to longer loading times.

Important note on the 3D tools subject is that we previously allowed 0.3mm for supported walls, so many models would show green, but in practice many of those would actually be too thin to print successfully. (unsupported wall/wire etc)

Regarding the current models available on the marketplace, if a model has previously been successfully printed using Smooth or Smoothest FDP, and it suddenly fails to meet the requirements, our production team will make an initial attempt to print the model. In the event of a failure, we will assess whether a second attempt is feasible or if a modification request is necessary.

We will keep looking into ways on improving this material, such as trying to get the layers to adhere better during the production process and also see if we can improve the way models are packaged, which should also help improve shipping of this more brittle material.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback, it's well appreciated and has been shared internally for evaluation.
    Hopefully at some point we can figure out a way to improve the material and get the quality you and your customers are looking for!

If a customer receives a broken model you can ask them to contact Shapeways Customer Service.
    We haven't seen any reports on the paint not adhering to the material, what paint and or primer is the customer using so we can investigate?

13. bwterrainforge
    Mitchell,

Thanks for replying and thank yu for understanding the frustration here. On your comments

Regarding the current models available on the marketplace, if a model has previously been successfully printed using Smooth or Smoothest FDP, and it suddenly fails to meet the requirements, our production team will make an initial attempt to print the model. In the event of a failure, we will assess whether a second attempt is feasible or if a modification request is necessary.

This isnt the case I just had a customer purchase htt://www.shapeways.com/product/MKL3BATY4/cyber-samurai-v7-winged-dragon-jetpack

This was available in tan. the tech flagged it and since we didint know about the respec and it had been printed in the past in tan I chose the print anyways. The horns on the dragon head which was the issue printed fine and was shipped to the customer with out the print failing. However after the item was shipped the tan option permanently pulled, and shows the erorr on the product page and was told I had to redo the model before I can reoffer it.

If a customer receives a broken model you can ask them to contact Shapeways Customer Service.
    We haven't seen any reports on the paint not adhering to the material, what paint and or primer is the customer using so we can investigate?

For customer who buy my items and have issues I have them contact shapeways right away. However this is a customer who bought something from another designer. They did not give me details only that they dont want to use the tan as it breaks (which I can attest to) and they had issues painting. I have asked if they can share details and if I hear back will let you know.

14. MitchellJetten
    This happened right after the design guidelines change, we have seen some of these cases, including yours and escalated those back then to the production engineers and management. (it might be that your rejection sparked this)

We agreed to have all models that had been printed before using the original guidelines, or smooth and smoothest, to be attempted at least once before rejecting.
    You're right that this didn't happen on your model, but this should have been fixed shortly after that rejection.

Production team will now attempt to print a model if it has been printed before in the old design guidelines or the old material so we can at least make sure that we can either print or cannot print a design.

Oh, I also fixed the error on your product page by enabling tan FDP again for that one, should be available again in your shop!

15. AgeOfPlastic
    AgeOfPlastic Member
    Because the print guidelines page doesn't list what specifications have changed, I've gone back to archived copies of the guidelines and compared them to the new ones for "fine detail" plastic.

In case they're useful to anyone else, here they are:

Walls
    Supported wall thickness min has changed from 0.3mm to 0.6mm
    Unsupported wall thickness min has changed from 0.6mm to 0.8mm

Wires
    Supported wires min has changed from 0.6mm to 0.8mm diameter
    Unsupported wires min has changed from 0.8mm to 1.0mm diameter

Details
    Remain the same

Escape holes
    Remain the same

Clearance
    Remains the same

Sprues
    Remain the same​

SemperVaporo likes this.
  16. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Bigger min thicknesses and brittle material - when everyone I know has these home printers that turn out finer details...

17. louiserb2001
    louiserb2001 Member
    I started buying model train shells/components from Dec 2023 from this platform. A total of 15 items now, all but 2 in the Tan Fine Detail. Three have arrived cracked, that's a 20% breakage rate which is pretty crap in anyone's books. But for me the biggest issue with all this 3D hype is the fact one has to sand all the layer lines off, which basically means sanding all or potentially a lot of the detail off. Yet why is it that I see and can buy from other designers/vendors 3D printed material that comes with smooth surfaces ready for prime/painting. An example being from 3dcentraltrains.com. The detail and finish on their products (it's a front for multiple designers) makes the stuff I've got coming out of Shapeways look primitive.

18. barkingdigger
    Yes, it is indeed a shame that SW cannot get their act together to offer a high-quality material to match their high-profit prices!

19. hendie
    hendie Member
    As others have mentioned, I too have had models which printed successfully in the past now rejected in this tan material.
    A lot of time was spent designing the parts so that they looked in scale for their purpose. Adjusting the models to meet the change in guidelines is not only time consuming but ruins the look and makes the parts now look poorly designed and out of scale.
    At this point I do not have the inclination to redesign all my models and am prepared to let my storefront die a slow and lingering death rather than try to keep up with this and any future changes in guidelines.
    I have an Elegoo Mars printer at home and the quality of the prints is far superior to anything I ever got from Shapeways. I have now started offering my prints online and so far, my home service is outpacing my Shapeways store by orders of magnitude.

20. barkingdigger
    I have to say I don't understand the SW business model anymore. When they started they aimed at hobbyists as their prime customers, providing the marvel of 3D printing in a world where such service simply didn't exist. Then later they decided to chase the small-medium market for rapid prototyping for business, turning their back on the hobbyists and telling us to take what we're given. But now with good-quality "home" printers being so cheap and so available, there is no longer a need for hobbyists or businesses to bother with SW. I know they tried to get into the mass-printing market but is anyone really using such expensive tools for mass production?