Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Experiences with painting "Frosted Detail" materials
Search Search  
Experiences with painting "Frosted Detail" materials [message #32645] Sun, 14 August 2011 06:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
Here is a quick experiment I did with a model printed in "Frosted Detail" – i.e. not "Frosted Ultra Detail"

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/afrodri/HQC/VSF_tender.png

Here is the process I used:

1. I soaked it in hot water and dish soap (Palmolive Original brand) for about 10 minutes.
2. Gave it a light scrubbing with a toothbrush
3. Dried it with a paper towel and let it air dry for a few minutes
4. Gave it a light coat of grey primer (Testors light grey I believe) – I only used a light single coat, I probably would have given it a second coat, but wanted to see how it took paint.
5. Let the primer dry for a couple minutes
6. Dabbed on some paint (Vallejo 'Gory Red') (again, single coat, would have worked better with another coat or a backing coat of white)

I took the photo minutes after that, so the paint is still wet. Still, it did seem to adhere pretty well. The "feel" was right, and I think it would shape up nicely if I had taken my time. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Plastic solvent on WSF
Next Topic:Platinum cure silicone with transparent detail
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.